Freshman Friday

Meet Allyson Sparks

Cara Siegel, Sports Editor

You may know her as Allyson Sparks, but many know her as “Sparky.” Over the years she has become prone to her nickname, ever since she joined a soccer team that had two Ally’s on it. Thus the merge of her last name “Sparks” and the addition of the consonant  “y,” created what nearly all teachers, students, and teammates refer to her as… Sparky.

Sparky is currently a freshman here at Centennial. Before entering HIgh School she had a tough decision at hand, attend Pueblo West along with the majority of her club soccer team and older brother, or stray away from the pack and become a member of a #X SCL Championship Soccer Team. Obviously she made the right decision.

Sparky already had her mind made up about becoming a three sport athlete for Centennial. She already possesses one varsity letter for cross country, with two more hopefully on the way.She is currently representing Centennials girl’s basketball team, by playing both JV and Varsity. Following the departure of basketball season, she plans on playing with our girls soccer team in the Spring.

When it comes to academics, Sparky’s favorite subject is math, which is interesting considering her favorite teacher, Mr. Sterling, teaches history… BUt in reality it’s not all that interesting considering Mr. Sterling in the girls head soccer coach for Centennial, plus Sparkys coach for her club soccer team.

In consideration of her three sport participation and seven class enrollment, Sparky balances athletics and academics by making sure she keeps her procrastination to a minimum.

Upon entering high school Sparky had a couple fears. Her main one,w as that she was going to not have a lot of friends since a majority of them attended Pueblo West. On top of that she was nervous as to how the upperclassmen were going to treat the freshman. High School was nothing like what she expected it to be like. “It’s way more fun and pretty laid back.” She also finds herself hanging out alot with the other athletes at Centennial since she’s with them more often since she’s always in season. Sparky also mentions that “High school has helped her build a stronger connection with her friends since she actually has a lot of them in her classes.

Before Sparky Graduates in 2020, she has two major goals; make the CHSAA ALL-STATE team and go as far as her and her soccer team can in the high school playoffs.

Sparky’s Advice: “Just have fun, it’s goes by a lot faster than you think!”