Bulldog Health

How Students at Centennial can Take Control of Their Health & Fitness

Coach Kurtz Exhibiting the Gun Show

Marquel Broadus

Coach Kurtz Exhibiting the Gun Show

Teenagers sometimes don’t understand how important their health is. Specifically, their bad food decisions can affect them in their future. Eating at McDonald’s, Taco bell, & other fast food chains can lead to obesity, which in turn can lead to complications such as heart failure, diabetes, and cancer.  Many teens also struggle with other eating disorders such as anorexia. Eating too much or eating too little can be very unhealthy. Crash dieting for teens is very common because they don’t think they have time to prepare a proper meal and adjust their intake of daily fruits and veggies.

To investigate these health concerns further, The Centennialight caught up with Centennial’s own Coach Kurtz.  Kurtz has loved playing sports and being active for his entire life. As a child he played all sports and began working out regularly in the 5th grade.  He also enjoyed working with kids, and started coaching at the age of 15, which led him to be the coach and teacher that he is today. Although he enjoys a health and fitness lifestyle, he says his cheat food is “Mexican food…it’s hard to get away from it if you live in Pueblo, we have such good Mexican food and that’s my weakness”

Coach Kurt believes that “America is the most obese country, and most teens partake in that.” Kristina Bravo, who is an assistant editor at TakePart.com, a lifestyle website, supported coach Kurtz’s position stating that “…in 2014 more than 600 million adults are overweight or obese, and 42 million children younger than five were overweight or obese in 2013.” To stay on top of his schedule Coach Kurtz prepares a week’s worth of healthy meals, stating that “if you prepare, you won’t eat junk.” He believes that fast food is for people who are lazy.

The Centennialight was also fortunate enough to speak with Noriko Higginbotham, who is a personal trainer and nutritionist at Southside Fitness (JP Fitness).  In her twenties she competed in many “figure” body building competitions and recently competed in a “bikini” body building competition.  She has been a personal trainer for about 9 years now and now owns JP fitness.  Her intentions are the make a difference in people’s lives .

Higginbotham believes the teen health has decreased drastically in recent years due to lifestyle factors.  Kidshealth.com speaks to this statement as well, reporting that “between school, studies, friends, and even part time jobs, they’re (teenagers) juggling a lot interests and responsibilities.”  Students that tend to be active as children tend to be more active growing up, though, affirmed Higginbotham. As a woman that meal preps, she believes that age doesn’t matter, but it is a matter of how busy you are, which means that planning your routine is key.

Both Higginbotham and coach Kurtz emphasized that teenagers at Centennial need to plan and make smart choices to control their health, and added that lifestyle choices and habits that teens are making now will definitely have an impact on their future.