Truth Behind Turkey Day

For many, Thanksgiving is a time to be…thankful. Despite the annoying family members determined to know every grade or club or person you’ve dated since last time they saw you, Thanksgiving is a relatively wonderful holiday. I suppose, that is until you start to think about what it is that you are putting in your mouth.

What do people predominantly eat on thanksgiving? Turkey. In 2014, 86% of people reported that they will eat turkey on Thanksgiving. What, you might ask, is the big deal about that? Well, anyone who’s ever seen Food inc. knows that animals will often be mistreated and put in harsh conditions. Back in the 1950’s scientists used diethylstilbestrol (a synthetic growth hormone) to bulk up the factory farmed turkeys that they were selling, which means muscles and better meat. This hormone however, was found to cause cancer and birth defects in humans. As a result, the use of the hormone in poultry was banned in the 1950’s.”   Now, instead of using synthetic growth hormones scientists use selective breeding to get the biggest and best turkeys that they can.

This bulked up body can cause problems for the turkeys themselves. Their large breasts will make mating impossible, to solve this farmers must artificially inseminate the female turkeys. This in itself demonstrates the cruelty that is ongoing in factory farming.  A person will come into a warehouse jammed with turkeys, they will then snatch the turkeys off the ground and one by one attach their feet to the arm of the chair, shove a syringe into their oviduct and insert the semen. The males are also forced to go through a sexually intrusive process in order to get the semen to impregnate the females.

In order for turkeys to be packaged for sale they are sent down an assembly line and killed on their way to be boiled, however, sometimes the turkey doesn’t die and ends up getting boiled alive. Now, when I say that, please don’t take it lightly. Imagine for a moment getting dragged into a pot of boiling water surrounded by all the dead bodies of everyone you’ve ever known. The pain is intense and the death is slow. This harsh treatment is not uncommon in factory farms. Turkeys are kicked and thrown and kept in cramped dark places all their life. So next time you pick up the fork think about what’s on it. Instead of buying your turkey from Walmart go somewhere local and find a pasture raised turkey to feed your hunger this Thanksgiving. Remember, a happy turkey is a healthy turkey, we may eat meat but we don’t have to be cruel to the very creatures that make our Thanksgiving day so memorable.                                                                               

Madison Blackwell, News Staff

Madison Blackwell does not like to be called Madison Blackwell, she would prefer if you called her Maddie or virtually anything else except Madison Blackwell....