News+Editor%2C+Eli+Finley+
Back to Article
Back to Article

‘Tis the Season

News Editor, Eli Finley

News Editor, Eli Finley

News Editor, Eli Finley

News Editor, Eli Finley

‘Tis the Season

December 4, 2015

ON BEING THANKFUL

For some people, getting into that Christmas spirit can be a difficult thing to do. Hurtful memories or past actions and events can put a real damper on the season that we are progressively coming closer to. Maybe you don’t like the colors, or the ridiculous sweaters grandma always gets you, and for some of you what may upset you is honestly just seeing other people being able to be so happy. But I feel like we just left a season that should have taught us a lesson. Thanksgiving is only one day a year, but the fact is, we should be able to be happy and thankful for what we have everyday.

How quickly we forget the small things to be thankful for. We walk through a season in which the purpose is to find something to be thankful for, and maybe for you that looked like a good sleep schedule or not being in school for a week. But it should never be hard to find something to give you a smile on a figuratively cloudy day. The issue here lies in our attitudes, and the Christmas attitude over the past years has slowly declined. For kids it was absolutely magical, but the kids of then and the teenagers of now seem to want nothing to do with the incredible feelings that this time of year used to bring.

Attitude change is one of the most difficult things to accomplish, but for the sake of everyone around you, the motivation should not be hard to find.

ON BEING ENTITLED

When did we forsake the idea of life being a gift? Or living free being a gift? Or being able to actually celebrate religiously driven holidays a gift? It seems to me, (based on my observation of high school and America over the last four years) that most people feel more entitled than thankful for all of the things they are blessed with. No one seems to understand that we are blessed to be able to go to school, that we are able to show our faces in public, that we don’t have to deal with totalitarian governments, or be able to celebrate the holidays we want to.

ON BEING POLITICALLY CORRECT

Okay, so maybe you don’t really like/enjoy Christmas as much as other people. But should that mean that you get to be on edge and act offended every time someone says “Merry Christmas”. This issue of political correctness is honestly getting on my nerves, but that’s why I like to write editorials, I get to vent about these things.

I’ve been involved with the CMBC club since I was a sophomore, and both the years that I have been in the newsroom right before Christmas break, we have been “politely asked” (which in high school means we were told, not asked) to not say “Merry Christmas” during our sign-off because it may offend students. We were told to say happy holidays instead so as to not offend those who don’t celebrate anything at all over break… let me break this down for you… HOLIDAYS… HOLY… DAYS… hmmmmmmmmmmm that sounds a tad bit offensive to those who don’t believe or celebrate anything holy over break. And either way, what purpose does this break serve other than to celebrate holy beliefs?

Some schools just say the kids need a break after the first semester, but here at District 60 we don’t end the first semester until late January anyway. So I ask again, why is the break there if it is not for Christmas. (And yes I have noticed how we call it “winter break” now so as not to offend people) To be completely honest, I feel a little annoyed by how many things are found “offensive” now-a-days.

CONCLUSIONS

But hey! I’m just a high school kid so if you disagree with the editorial just comment below! Or if you’re offended by the writing, tell us about it! So Merry Christmas Bulldogs! Happy Hanukkah, happy Kwanzaa! Whatever it is that you do this season we hope you have a great time and love what you’re doing!