The Future

Does High School Really Prepare you for Life After School?

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Future

Eli Finley browsing college websites...

Eli Finley browsing college websites...

Eli Finley browsing college websites...

Eli Finley browsing college websites...

Eli Finley, News Editor

College is designed to be one of the greatest experiences of one’s life. For many people, this is the first time to truly be on your own, making your own decisions, a time in which your decisions begin to have immediate consequences.

For some, this may mean you let loose a little bit. You begin to  get out of the old “high school” routine and let out that rebellious spirit you had been holding in for the last four years. You are young, and life is going the way you had dreamed it would after getting out on your own.

Your college experience is in your own hands.

High school is nothing like that.

High school puts limits to every social and academic responsibility we could possibly have at this age, and then expect students to “take control” of their education. Schools tell us to take classes that interest us while we’re still young. Now, to some degree, this is possible, but, and maybe this is just me, the last four years of high school I have had to follow a linear line of classes. Each year I tried, I could not fit certain things into my schedule and still have all four core classes. This is why in the earlier years I attempted to get ahead of the game and take extra core class credits. But, as I still have to take them all again this year, the plan did not work. And consequently I did not have the experience of some of the classes I really wanted to take, such as construction tech, or a computer class, or digital imaging. I had interest in so many areas, things that I wanted to learn and experience, but in my attempt to “take control of my education”, I was not able to get into these classes.

So this chain of events begs the question:

Does high school prepare us for the experience ahead?

And in my honest opinion, no. High school serves its purpose of keeping students off the streets, and giving us a very vague depiction of the sciences, mathematics, social, cultural and linguistic studies that may or may not have anything to do with our futures. Do you learn necessary things in high school? YES, I want everyone to know that I am not bashing on Centennial or any other high school, because there are definitely things I have had the chance to learn in high school that will help me later on, I am simply stating and defending my opinion as to why this experience does not really prepare students for what is ahead, I.E college.

College gives students freedom. No, you will not have homework every night, no, your first major will probably not be what you end up doing, NO, it is not required that you go to class, because the professors will be paid whether you come or not. It is now your own responsibility to take care of your life. If you decide to skip class, then in most cases this will reflect on the test score. And when you have failed that class then your money (or parents money) will have been wasted.

In High school, we have “responsibilities” known as home work (which as I have observed, most college people are writing papers and taking tests, homework is pretty non-existent). But even if you flunk all of your classes, you still move on to the next grade. Colorado schools require 24 credits to graduate, that is only six classes every year, this is a simple prospect compared to the hundreds of hours you need to get a masters or doctorate which are becoming more and more necessary in the real world that we need to be preparing for.

But beyond just schooling and college, there is a social side to this, high school does not do very much at all to prepare us to be functioning citizens of America. If I did not have parents who cared and loved me enough to teach me things outside of school I would have a very sad existence. There’s this crazy reality in which I and many other people my age will be paying taxes this next year, or applying for a job, or opening a bank account (or an investment account). Which is awesome because I am more than prepared to perform these things! (That comment was dripping with sarcasm) If I did not have my older brother or parents around, these things would not be finished and I could be in legal trouble. The consequences of which have much more severity than the school calling my mother.

Eli Finley, Co-News Editor

The meteoric rise of Centennial's student body president is a real zero to hero, zero to hundred (real quick) story. His obvious charm and deceptively...