Back to Article
Back to Article

Spring Sports Preview

Ashley Garrison (left) and Justine Martinez (right) will lead the lady Bulldogs this soccer season

AJ Sena

AJ Sena

AJ Sena

Spring Sports Preview

Girls Soccer

March 7, 2016

The girls soccer program at Centennial has traditionally been very successful, recently being crowned back-to-back league champions, and making playoff runs in both years.  Last year our lady dogs made it to the second round of the state playoffs but were eliminated by the number one seed, Evergreen high school.  Led by college signed seniors, Justine Martinez and Ashley Garrison, along with a very talented junior class, the girls are looking for another league championship and a promising playoff run.

Coach: Jeff Sterling

Coach Sterling has made it clear that Centennial is going to have a promising season. “We want to repeat as league champions and try to host a couple playoff game this year, we play three of the top four teams in 4A, and if we beat those teams we can almost guarantee ourselves a couple home playoff games.”  But making a playoff run isn’t the only goal in mind for Sterling and his girls, they want to make history. “We want to be the first girls team from the Pueblo area to make it to the semi-finals.”  With the team goals set, Sterling will be looking for leadership from not just his seniors but from anyone willing to put in the work to make his team better.  “We put a lot of value on senior leadership and upperclassman leadership, but I think leadership can really come from anyone. We have a very talented senior group that has made our program what it is today so I really look to them for leadership, but our juniors make up about forty-percent of the team so I really look at both of those groups to really lead.”  The biggest obstacle for our ladies to face this year will be injuries.  With the ACL injury to division one signee, Katie Davis, the team can’t afford to lose any more talent.  If the lady bulldogs can stay healthy and focused this season they’ll definitely be bringing home another SCL championship and have a historic season in the process.

Key players to watch:

Ashley Garrison, Senior

Position: Center Forward

#3

As a senior and college signee, Ashley is held accountable for leadership on her team.  “My personal goals are to work on my leadership, on and off the field.  For example, talking more on the field to keep the team organized.”  With a championship and playoffs in mind, Ashley wants to keep the team motivated throughout the season and will do everything in her power to do so.  “I am going to do everything I can to help my team, mostly by working as hard as I can and to give help wherever we need it.”  Ashley is a team player and a great role model for the younger talent on the team and if she can keep her team motivated, the possibilities are endless.

Justine Martinez, Senior

Position: Forward

#18

Justine is a team captain and also a college signee and is expected to lead the team to achieve their goals.  For Justine personally, she would like to better herself in a couple of different areas.  “My personal goals this season are to show leadership skills as a captain and improve my stats from last years soccer season.”  Soccer is a team sport and Justine knows she can’t do it all on her own and expects a lot from her teammates, “I am looking for hard work, commitment and dedication from every player.”  To do her part and contribute to her team Justine plans on being the best player she knows she can be. “In order to help my team I will be a leader to them on the field, pushing them to be better at practice by being the best role model I possibly can be.”  The Season is looking very promising for the bulldogs and Justine will have to carry an extra load with the injury to Katie Davis, but she plans on contributing a lot this season to her team and will definitely be a player to keep an eye on.

2016 Schedule:

• Thursday      03/10/16      Sierra High School       Away        4:00 PM
  • Saturday        03/12/16      Evergreen High School   Home    10:00 AM
  • Tuesday         03/15/16      Rampart High School    Away       7:00 PM
  • Tuesday         03/29/16      Canon City                    Away        6:30 PM
  • Saturday         04/02/16      Lewis Palmer                Home       10:00 AM
  • Monday          04/04/16       Pueblo South                Home       7:30 PM
  • Wednesday    04/06/16       Liberty                          Home        4:30 PM
  • Tuesday         04/12/16       Pueblo East                  Home        7:00 PM
  • Thursday        04/14/16       Pueblo West                 Away         6:30 PM
  • Tuesday         04/19/16       Pueblo South                Away         7:00 PM
  • Tuesday         04/26/16       Mullen High School       Away         4:30 AM
  • Thursday        04/28/16       Pueblo Central              Away         4:30 PM
  • Saturday         04/30/16       Pueblo County              Home        10:00 AM
  • Tuesday          05/03/16       Pueblo West                 Home         7:00 PM