Alt-J or The Neighbourhood

Gillian Hawken and Kylee Holder

Who is the best?

Alt-J has an unforgettable sound you won’t hear from any other artist. His cool toned techno beats along with his alternative voice bring together a very unique audibility to each song. One of my favorites would be “Every Other Freckle” from his This Is All Yours album. This Is All Yours is their sophomore studio album released in 2014. When it was released it went straight to number one in the UK. Their top hit is “Breeze Blocks” from their An Awesome Wave album. “Breeze Blocks” is one of their more upbeat songs, but also has a deep meaning hidden, which is about an unbalanced relationship and loss. I personally like their music because, it has so many hidden meanings to the point that the more you listen the more you uncover. They are an indie rock band formed in 2007 in Leeds, England they have won the British Mercury Prize along with the hearts of thousands. Their music is truly a way for the band to sing what they are to scared to say. The lyrics hold so many deeper meanings than you could imagine, which is what makes the band more interesting. Alt-J is better than The Neighbourhood because with all of his music each song sounds different from the next. Alt-J’s fanbase may not be as big as The Neighbourhood’s, but they have more of a one-on-one connection with each other because of that.

Screen Shot 2016-04-28 at 9.00.46 AM

The Neighbourhood is an alternative band that has a bit of R&B that is thrown into it to make a deep and soulful group. Their passion for their music drives them to be the best they can be. They have been around since 2011 and are always motivated to make the best possible music for their fans. Their most popular single “Sweater Weather” from their I Love You album, is about love and in their opinion it is the best song they have written together. It reached number 1 on the Billboard Alternative Songs in June of 2013. They have two studio albums and they are currently on tour as of now. They are coming to The Ogden Theatre in May for The Drought Tour. Their latest album was just released in October last year and was a huge success within their fan base. Wiped Out!’s biggest hit is “Crybaby”. The band originated from Newbury Park in California. They all had known each other through friends and some of them even were childhood buddies. The drummer, Brandon Fried, and the lead singer, Jesse Rutherford, both graduated high school together. Mikey Margott and Zach Abels, both guitarists for the band attended school together as well. Their bond helps to create the best music that they possibly can produce. The Neighbourhood has a certain kind of sound that no other band produces. Jesse Rutherford, has such a beautiful voice and he uses it to his advantage when he writes his songs. The band writes their own songs together so that they can be as personal as possible and easier for people to connect to. The music means a lot to them and it is portrayed through their songs. Songwriting is a huge part of a band and they make sure to take part in it. The Neighbourhood all in all is a edgy and meaningful group that needs to be appreciated and listened to much more than they are currently. The band isn’t that popular, but based off their inspiration and hard work their music should be more favored. If you love indie-rock, the band will make the top of your list. The Neighbourhood is better than Alt-J because of their unbelievable passion and their dedication to making their music the best that they can. The Neighbourhood’s fanbase (they call themselves the hoodlums) has such a strong bond with the band, which drives them to do their best. They make their music for themselves and their fans, making their music the most meaningful and soulful.  

Screen Shot 2016-04-28 at 9.00.59 AM