Back to Article
Back to Article

Bulldog Brothers Prepare for Bell Battle

Brothers, Patrick Gonzales (left) and Ricardo Gonzales (right), lead the way in tomorrow night's annual Bell Game

September 15, 2016

Deck the halls with posters and streamers, tis the season to be hype. With spirit day apparel, spam Facebook with bell predictions and dank memes, because this Friday, centennial will carry the torch of tradition in the annual Bell Game. The significance of this game ventures much further than any two schools. It is more than school tradition, it is the oldest rivalry west of the Mississippi, it is part of Pueblo’s history, and the community is very invested. The house is packed with families who don’t even have kids enrolled in middle school yet, students who are neither Wildcats nor Bulldogs, and people well beyond their high school years.

This year our team will be led by quarterback, Patrick Gonzalez. Despite only being a sophomore, and this being such a highly anticipated game, Patrick approaches Friday with confidence. His brother, Richard Gonzalez is the team’s running back, and this will be his first and last time playing the Bell Game with his brother. There is, however, an increased skepticism among students as to whether or not the bell will come home this year. Patrick admits that the team is very young with considerably few seniors. This forces younger players to assume bigger roles and mature as athletes in ways that may not be expected otherwise. But both brothers seem to have no doubt that the Bell will ring red.

Every year, while the rest of the school parties at Bell Bash, the football team meets for a dinner. Patrick explains, “We pray, we pray that no gets hurt, and thank god that we were given this opportunity.”