Steel City Promoting their Christmas Carol Performance

Art Changes Lives

October 21, 2016

Theater is considered a hobby to some people but to others it is a lifestyle. At Steel City Theater Company, there is a joy and love for theater. Director Andrea Garrett, and artistic director Jason Laughry, create wonderful shows year round for the public to enjoy. The doors are open for the public to watch, volunteer, or audition for shows. SCTC has many programs to get people of all ages involved in their company, with classes throughout the year, three audition periods, and constant production of shows.

Steel City harbors a care for the arts and wants to make sure that everyone who has this dream can fulfill it, from kids to adults. Many people have the dream to grow up and be an actor but think that they will never make it or it would be impossible for them, so being apart of Steel City can let people carry out their dream. Andrea Garrett works hard to make sure the kids who want to pursue this as a career are well prepared and have to confidence to enter the crazy world that is show business. Offering up to 6 styles of dance classes, 5 levels of acting, private voice lessons, and music theory classes, kids should be able to feel comfortable in their knowledge of this art.

Steel City Theater Company performers posing during their After Dark performance

In this 2016-2017 season they are offering a variety of shows which include, Diary of Anne Frank, Sensational Spooktacular, Rapture Blister Burn, Little Shop of Horrors, The Wonderettes, Extremities, Godspell, After Dark, and Captain Bree and Her Lady Pirates. This mix of dramatic and comedic plays and musicals include a mix of ages and intend to impress the audience. Some shows have yet to be casted and they are always looking for more people to join. The current show is Anne Frank and they are on the third weekend of a three week run; being almost sold out because of the wonderful review they received in the Chieftain and the support of the new and returning audience members.

Garrett and Laughry took over the theater with the intentions of creating shows that their actors and they are proud of. Steel City can not survive without to support of the public. Being a non-profit organization it is a team effort to make sure that the theater can stay open and continue producing shows. Their supportive staff and team of volunteers is imperative for the theater, and all their help does not go unrecognized. This group of people is a close knit group and it makes you feel like you are at home when you walk through the doors.

Steel City Theater Company hopes that with hard work and determination they can bring arts to everyone in Pueblo, CO. They know how important it is for people to be involved in the arts and they are willing to do whatever it takes to make sure everyone feels welcome. Quoting their motto “Art Changes Lives”.