Junior%2C+Eric+Pumphrey%2C+doing+some+holiday+shopping+
Junior, Eric Pumphrey, doing some holiday shopping

Jenna Herrera

Jenna Herrera

Tis’ the Season to be Greedy

What Does Christmas Mean to you?

December 9, 2016

It’s that time of year again, bulldogs. With Thanksgiving over and December beginning, it’s time to get into the Christmas spirit. But what does that really mean, ‘Christmas spirit?’

When we were kids, I’m sure we’ve all thought of the winter holidays as a time to be on our best behavior so that good old Santa Claus will bring us more presents. Some of us may have even competed with our siblings and friends to see who’s been the best behaved and who will get the most presents come Christmas day. This idea has helped parents to teach their children the benefits of good behavior, but as they grow, ‘Christmas spirit’ can take on a much different meaning. Of course all parents would like to think that their kids grow to think of it more as a time of giving, rather than just receiving, and some of them are right. But not all of them.

But let me ask you something I want you to really stop and think about as the holidays draw nearer; what does Christmas really mean to you?”

— Austin Bruggeman

Over the years, this idea of giving has been lost upon kids, and sometimes their parents are just as bad. I can say from personal experience that kids will come up with a Christmas wish list a mile long and expect to get at least most of the items on their list. Their parents hope that they’ll get better over the years, but then the mile long lists just keep coming year after year. And by ensuring that their kids can check off most of the items on their lists year after year, they’re fueling a terrible habit; greed. Over the course of centuries, the true ‘Christmas spirit’ has been lost, replaced by an insatiable greed, a hunger to always have more.

We’d all like to think that we’re better than that but stop and think for a moment; when was the last time you went shopping, saw something you thought you couldn’t live without, and either bought it then and there or left to go get the money to buy it. If your answer was along the lines of ‘I can’t remember’ or ‘it was a long time ago’ good for you. Those of you who answered along the lines of ‘recently,’ especially ‘frequently,’ that is impulse purchasing and is likely the heart of the problem; seeing something you want and just taking it. But where do these impulses come from? Certainly greed but does the misconceived ‘Christmas spirit’ also play a role? Have we simply been raised to think of Christmas as a time of receiving and applied the same thought process to everything else? Who knows.

But let me ask you something I want you to really stop and think about as the holidays draw nearer; what does Christmas really mean to you?