Huskies Takedown Bulldogs

Bulldogs Lose a Heartbreaker in First Dual of the Season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Huskies Takedown Bulldogs

Marissa Macaluso, Social Media Editor

Wednesday night the Florence Huskies defeated the Centennial Bulldogs in a tough dual with a final score of of 36-34. The dual came down to a close match between Centennial’s Jacob Gonzales and Florence’s Johnny Nastaust.

Sophomore, Jacob Gonzales who placed sixth at state last year, wrestled in the 106 weight class for the last match of the dual. With a team score of 31-36 the Centennial Bulldogs needed Gonzales to come up on top with a six point win. With no points scored in the first period, Gonzales made an effort to win in the second. In an attempt to pin Florence’s Johnny Nastaust, Gonzales scored three near fall points, but could not hold down the pin when the referee called Gonzales on an illegal move resulting in one penalty point in Nastaust’s favor.

With short time Gonzales’ attempt to pin fell short ending the second period with a score of 3-1. The third period started with Gonzales choosing top putting him in position to score additional points. After a struggle to score points by both wrestlers, Nastaust was able to get a reversal for two points near the end of the period. Not wanting to go into overtime with a score of 3-3 Gonzales fought for an one point escape, ultimately winning the match 4-3.

With only a minor decision win, the Bulldogs fell short as the Huskies won with a three point lead.

Other highlight matches included Centennial’s Chandler Livingston and Florence’s Logan Kenline wrestling at 160 pounds. With no points scored in the first period, Livingston was determined to score in the second period and was able to turn Kenline for three near fall points. At the start of the third period Livingston had the lead with a score of 3-0. Kenline chose bottom resulting in a reversal for two points. Livingston got one point for an escape but not soon after Kenline put him on his back for two near fall points tying the score 4-4 at the end of the third period. Going into the first 30 second period of over time Livingston was determined scoring two points with a take down. In the second 30 second period of over time Kenline scored two with a reversal, though after a tough fight Livingston was able to get a one point escape in the last four seconds winning the match 7-6, a minor decision.

Marissa Macaluso, News Staff

Marissa Macaluso, also infamously known as lil’ mac or @babaymac, is a very a disorganized perfectionist, a wannabe Brandy Melville model, and chapstick...

Mia Gilbertson, News Staff

If you’ve seen her in class, you’d conclude that she is quiet and that’s about it. If you’ve seen her in the halls, you’d think her earbuds were...