Cry Baby

Melanie Martinez's Musical Story

Courtesy of Pinterest

Courtesy of Pinterest

Jaelyn Hawken, Arts & Entertainment

Many of you may have heard of the alternative/indie music artist Melanie Martinez. Her first debut album “Cry Baby” was released August 14, 2015. The artist has gotten very popular in the past year, especially with her songs “Pity Party”, “Carousel”, and “Soap” from the “Nerve” soundtrack. She also had used the chorus from the classic song “It’s my Party” by Lesley Gore in “Pity Party”.

Many people had found her music strange due to her lyrics and her music videos. But, what people don’t know is that each of her songs have a special meaning to her. The album is based off of a fictional character that she calls, Cry Baby, who is based off a fantasy, and the darker side of her childhood. The whole album is based off of Cry Baby’s feelings and emotions concerning some of the situations that she had gone through in her life. I happen to really enjoy her music because it may take a few listens before you realize how important these songs really are. She also has the opportunity to show another part of her wild side in her videos and she takes it! Considering her album and character is called Cry Baby, she uses this time to make her videos as a… baby! She resembles her songs in the form of a video so it is much easier to understand but, there very much childish side to her videos.

Courtesy of Melanie Martinez Wiki

Her currently, most recent video for her song “Mrs. Potato Head”, I know it sounds strange but, it has hit millions of views in about a week. This song, though the title sounds crazy, has a very inspiring story behind it. Cry Baby at this point in her life gone through some insane experiences that lead her to believe that she was not pretty enough and not as beautiful as she has always wished to be. So, the song is about Cry Baby being very confused about her physical looks and persona, like most young adults and teenagers at a certain time of her life. But, Melanie comes out with the video and blew her fans away with the inspiring message. When I first viewed the video, it was clear what was happening to Cry Baby. But, after seeing someone else go through extensive surgery and pain to be “beautiful”, she later realized that she is perfect the way she is, leading to her song “Mad Hatter”.

Melanie’s album has inspired many young adults and teenagers, giving them the message that you are perfect the way you are and that another person should never get in the way of your emotions and how view yourself because clearly, they are not worth it. She uses strange words and metaphors to show her fans the message to make her music much more unique. I happen to have been listening to Melanie for quite some time now and her messages get clearer and clearer each time I hear them. So, don’t let her crazy appearance make you feel that her music isn’t worth a listen because I promise you it’s a good crazy! If you love alternative/indie types of music, you’ll love Melanie and I know that she won’t disappoint. If you are interested in listening to her music, I suggest you pay very good attention because there is an amazing and inspiring story behind all of her work. Her music has inspired many people all around the world, including myself. It has taught me that anything is possible and you are perfect just the way you are! The album carries 13 songs so, there it lots of catching up to do!

Courtesy of Atlantic Records