Artist Spotlight: Donald Glover

The Depth Behind Childish Gambino

https%3A%2F%2Fallhiphop.com%2F2017%2F01%2F19%2Fdonald-glover-chance-rapper-praise-barack-obama-video%2F
https://allhiphop.com/2017/01/19/donald-glover-chance-rapper-praise-barack-obama-video/

Gillian Hawken, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Who is Donald Glover? Most of you may know him by his stage name, Childish Gambino, performing hits like, Redbone, 3005, and IV. Sweatpants. But there is so much more to him than meets the eye.

Before Glover was a famous rapper, singer/songwriter, he went to New York University and graduated with a degree in Dramatic Writing. The same year he graduated from NYU, in 2006, he became a writer for NBC’s hit show 30 Rock. Three years later, he starred as the character Troy in the show Community in 2009. Glover even auditioned to play the character, Barack Obama, on Saturday Night Live in 2008, but unfortunately lost to Fred Armisen.  Another interesting fact about Donald is that when The Amazing-Spider Man movies were in the beginning of production in 2010,he was advocated for by an internet campaign for the lead role, but Andrew Garfield beat him to the punch. Glover appears in the most recent Spider Man reboot as Aaron Davis to satisfy his fans.

It wasn’t until 2008, when Glover released his album, “Sick Boi” as Childish Gambino. His debut album, “Camp”  produced a hit single, “Heartbeat” and got many positive reviews. His work is widely known, and is very popular with young adults. Since then he has gotten huge in the music industry, and just recently announced that his next upcoming album will be his last one. He explained that he doesn’t want the direction of his music to change over time, he wants his music to stay “punk”. Ending his music at good point in his career seems like the best decision to him.

He has starred and guest starred in several productions such as, The Martian, The Lazarus Effect, Adventure Time, Regular Show, Magic Mike XXL and Atlanta. Glover is the director, writer, producer and star of the popular series, Atlanta that airs on FX. The show has won many awards, including a Golden Globe for Best Actor given to Glover in 2017. The how is a story about young men trying to make a name for themselves as young rappers. He is now to play the iconic Star Wars character, Lando Calrissian, in the Han Solo Anthology film and voice Simba in reboot of The Lion King, to be released in 2019. His rise to stardom has been quick and impressive, but not surprising with his unbelievable amount of talent. Glover was made for Hollywood.