Foo Fighters Newly Released Album

Concrete and Gold Review

Spin
Back to Article
Back to Article

Foo Fighters Newly Released Album

Spin

Spin

Spin

Spin

Isaiah Rivera, Arts & Entertainment

The Foo Fighters have come a long way since frontman Dave Grohl first started the band by himself, writing and recording their debut album alone. Now the band has evolved into a six piece with new keyboard player Rami Jaffee, and have released their ninth studio album “Concrete and Gold”. The follow up to 2014’s “Sonic Highways” is finally here and takes a lot of musical turns. In an interview, Dave Grohl explained that the name was inspired by “an image of a tree breaking through the concrete”. The Foo Fighters is a band that really can get away with anything in their music, they continue to surprise us with this album, featuring artists you would never suspect like

The Album has three singles, the first one released was “Run” a great song that builds up to a winding tempo and lead scream, that Grohl occasionally roars out in some songs. This is about looking back on old times, the music video for this song features the whole band in masks to make them look older. The next single on the album is “Make it Right”, and features a groovy guitar riff that makes you want to get up and dance. This track has inviting lyrics like “ hop on the train to nowhere baby, don’t you want to hitch a ride?” This is definitely one of the softer upbeat tracks on the album, and if you listen very closely you can hear Justin Timberlake singing backup vocals. The last single on the album, and one of my personal favorites, is “the sky is a neighborhood”. This song has slow versus, with loud bass and drum beats, that blend the whole song together. This entire album is a big mixture of fast and slow tempos, that the Foo Fighters are known for. When listening to this album, it is very hard to know what is going to come up in the next song. A lot of the songs utilize the acoustic guitar, making a lot of them mellow. Although it would have been interesting to hear Paul McCartney sing on this album, he is the stickman behind the laidback beat in “Sunday Rain”. This song is my second favorite because it has such a classic sound to it, making it hard to believe it was written today. The album closes with the self titled “Concrete and Gold”. This song is very slow with mesmerizing vocals by Grohl and Shawn Stockman, and space rock themed sound effects on the keyboard. The album ends with Grohl singing the last line “Our roots are stronger than you know, up through the concrete we will grow”. This is an awesome album that I am very glad to listen to, I already look forward to the next one.

Stereogum