May The Best Band Win

Jane's Addiction VS Red Hot Chili Peppers

Courtesy of YouTube

Courtesy of YouTube

Gillian Hawken & Jaelyn Hawken, Arts & Entertainment

Jane’s Addiction

Jane’s Addiction, an American rock band, formed in Los Angeles, California, was created in 1985. The band members include, Perry Farrell (lead singer),Dave Navarro (guitar), Stephen Perkins (drums), Chris Chaney (bass). In 1991, Farrell was one of the contributors, along with two other men that created Lollapalooza down in Chicago, Illinois. Lollapalooza is one of the most successful music festivals today, because of the large variety of musicians that perform there every year. Farrell is a huge part of its success and without him, there would be no festival. The festival was originally made as a farewell tour for Jane’s Addiction, but over the years it has changed. It is located in Grant Park, Chicago, Illinois every year. The band got back together in 1997 after Farrell’s second band Pornos for Pyros broke up. They then broke up again within that year. They got back together once again in 2001 to 2004 to further the band’s career, but that didn’t end well either leading to another hiatus. Finally, in 2008 Jane’s Addiction got back together and the band has been performing ever since. They have been off and on through the years, but that didn’t stop the band’s success and how loyal their fans are still to this day. Their first album, Nothing’s Shocking was released in 1988, only three years after the band formed. Their most popular song “Jane Says” was on the tracklist for the album saying, “Well she gets mad and she starts to cry, she takes a swing, but she can’t hit” The song is about an abusive relationship between two people and a women that has an extreme drug addiction. The song was based off of a real Jane, a real relationship, and real drug problems, according to the lead singer and songwriter. It also inspired the band’s name. Their second studio album, Ritual de lo habitual was their more successful album. “Been Caught Stealing” and “Stop!”, are included on the track, which gained the most attention. “Been Caught Stealing” is about the rush a person gets from stealing from a store for fun. “When I want something, I don’t want to pay for it” he sings. Farrell has a history of encouraging his listeners to do things that are unhealthy or against the law. The introduction to “Stop!”, is in Spanish, but when translated to English it talks about how they have more control over children than parents do, but that’s okay because they love them. The song is very truthful and that scared a lot of people, but their individuality and unique sound drew people to them as well. They were one of the first alternative rock bands that started gaining mainstream media attention. Because of that, they became widely popular with teens and young adults. They have a funk metal sound with a bit of psychedelic mixed in. Their sound wasn’t quite like anybody else’s when they came out. They were a huge part of the famous 80’s and 90’s alternative era. The band is considered to be one of my favorite groups because, of one, their great music and two, how they changed music history. Make sure to check them out. Their meaningful lyrics hook you immediately and make you want to listen to their talent for hours on end.

Source:http://my-horror.com/2011/10/13/jane’s-addiction/

Red Hot Chili Peppers

The Red Hot Chili Peppers, an American rock band formed in Los Angeles in 1983. The band was included in many genres of music including rock, punk rock, and psychedelic rock. They were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2012 and have won seven grammy awards and became one of the best selling bands of all time, selling over 80 million records worldwide. They currently have the following members, Anthony Kiedis (vocals), Flea (bass), Chad Smith (drummer), and Josh Klinghoffer (guitarist) he had replaced John Frusciante in 2009. A couple of the band’s members have also been in Jane’s Addiction. The two bands have switched around members a few times in the past, making the two very close. Jane’s Addiction guitar player, Dave Navarro was once the drummer for the Red Hot Chili Peppers and the Peppers drummer, Flea, joined Jane’s Addiction as their fill in bass player for their reunion tour in 1997. Two of my favorite songs would have to be, By the Way and Road Trippin’.  The band originally had very vulgar lyrics, but overtime they became more laid back lyrically and went from flesh baring artists to “respectable veterans”. They are more of their mainstream songs, but their work is so one of a kind that it’s hard not to fall in love with them. One of their most popular songs, Californication, is about the dark side of Hollywood. Not everything is as perfect as you think. California is disguised as the best place in the country, but most people don’t see what lies beneath. Another one of the the band’s hits, Scar Tissue, is a song inspired by previous events that had happened in Kiedis’ life. They released their EP album on August 10, 1984, the album was named The Red Hot Chilli Peppers, it didn’t set any sales records but MTV and college radio broadcasting helped them get their foot in the door.  They first formed as Tony Flow and the Miraculously Majestic Masters of Mayhem, but as the band went on and got noticed they changed their name to The Red Hot Chilli Peppers and the rest is history. They continue to tour around the world and make appearances on talk shows regularly. The band was even on an edition of James Corden’s “Carpool Karaoke”.  

“NME Music News, Reviews, Videos, Galleries, Tickets and Blogs | NME.COM.” NME.COM. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Mar. 2016.

It’s your turn to choose!