Freshman Friday

Kira Hughes

Micaela Diaz and Katie Meeks, News Staff

High School can seem intimidating to any incoming freshman, but after emerging from a elementary/middle school with fewer than 200 students to a 4A high school with over 1300 students, freshman Kira Hughes has made the transition look easy. As a dancer and honor student, Kira has dedicated her time to not only her academics and the school, but to the community as well.

At one time, Kira had her heart set on South High School, but following in the footsteps of her brother, she ultimately made the right decision and chose Centennial. When asked about dance team, she shared her excitement about having a new family; familiar faces to see around the halls and on the field. Most students don’t get to experience the thrill of a touchdown on the field, but as a dancer, it is easily Kira’s favorite part of the game. Outside of Centennial, Kira has been a devoted dancer to Rockin’ Robins since she was just three years old, doing everything from Jazz, Ballet, and Hip-Hop to Contemporary, Musical Theater, and Clog.

Living in the shadow of an older sibling is hard enough, but coming to the same school and being known as “Kevin’s sister” is a challenge of its own. Kira doesn’t let that stop her, as she stays committed to her goals of getting involved in more clubs, and eventually graduating with a GPA of 4.0 or above. Juggling school and dance, Kira finds time to maintain her grades by studying and completing homework before practice. Kira is the type of person to appreciate a challenge, which she shows by having her hardest class, Biology, as her favorite subject. Kira has big plans to attend Pepperdine University and major in business in hopes of owning her own one day.

.

1 Comment

One Response to “Freshman Friday”

1. Aunt Brenda Smith on November 6th, 2017 12:39 am

Kira, 1st and for most, your beautiful, intelligent, a great dancer with a beautiful smile. So proud of you lil girl. You brought a tear to my eye when I looked at your beautiful face because you brought back so many memories of your mama. She too had all your dreams and she accomplished them (maybe not the dancing) 😂. Can’t wait to see what next year brings.

Even if your not a South High “Colt” were so proud. Love you Kk

[Reply]

• Freshman Friday

Bulldogs Dominate League Play; Confident Heading Into Playoffs

• Freshman Friday

A&E

Avengers: Infinity War

• Freshman Friday

News

Teachers and Allies Protest Pueblo City Schools Board of Education Meeting

• Freshman Friday

Senior Feature

• Freshman Friday

Teacher Feature

• Freshman Friday

Teacher Feature

• Freshman Friday

Senior Feature

• Freshman Friday

Opinions

The NCAA & March Madness is…Madness

• Freshman Friday

News Briefs

Pueblo City Schools To Implement 4-Day Week

• Freshman Friday

Full News Stories

Bulldogs Walk Out on Gun Violence

Freshman Friday