Ivory Martinez

Girls Basketball Falls Flat Against Northwestern Warriors

January 12, 2018

The Centennial Bulldogs faced off against the Far Northwestern Warriors Wednesday night in a game that was in reach for the Bulldogs going into the 4th quarter, however unable to pull through with a victory.  Centennial was coming off of a win against James Erwin and a dynamic performance from Tori Mitrik (Senior), who scored 28 of 78 points leading Centennial to a landslide victory.  

Tori Mitrik (2), Haley Calderon (0), Bri Simmons (11), Jillian Kelly (22), and Allie Jones (23), completed the starting lineup for the Bulldogs, who were looking for their third win of the season.  The Warriors, with a clear height advantage snagged the opening tip off, but with a misstep in the passing game, the Bulldogs got the ball.  With an aggressive full court press coverage on the inbound, the Warriors were quick to foul.  The Bulldogs were unable to take advantage and after an unsuccessful offensive opportunity, the Warriors were able to score the first points of the game.  With 5:52 to go in the first quarter, the Bulldogs subbed in Jayden Garcia-Prien (35) and Allison Sparks (5), bringing out Allie Jones who had commited her second foul within the first 3 minutes of the game.  After 2 unsuccessful free throws by the Warriors, it was now the Bulldogs turn with Tori Mitrik landing both shots putting up the first points for the Bulldogs.  

At the end of the 1st quarter the Bulldogs trailed 4-10.  

In the start of the second quarter the Bulldogs started hot with Tory Mitrik landing a three pointer bringing the score within three points when suddenly, Jillian Kelly suffered a knee injury, but luckily, was able to walk off on her own power brining Allie Jones back into the game.  The Bulldogs then shot back-to-back three pointers giving them the advantage for the first time in the contest.  The Warriors aggressive play style proved to be successful, putting the game back in their favor 16-17 at half.  The game came down to physicality of the Warriors team being able to out muscle the Bulldog girls in key rebounding situations as well as the Bulldogs having an inability to drive to the rim against the very physical Warriors defense which lead to Centennial’s downfall.  Unable to keep the momentum they had in the second quarter, they were outscored 27-9 in the second half with a final score of 44-25 in the Warrior’s favor.  

At Thursday’s practice, coach Tara Hernandez asserted that the Centennial girls needed to bring more intensity to the game if they wanted to win against a tough SCL (Southern Colorado League).  Jillian Kelley was sidelined for the practice however, will reportedly be ready for Tuesday’s game against the East Eagles (6-4) in the Bulldog’s third consecutive home game.  The Bulldogs now fall to 2-10 while the Warriors move to 8-4.