Teacher Feature

Ms. Blackmore

Back to Article
Back to Article

Teacher Feature

Ashlyn Denzler, News Staff

“I always used to pretend that I was a teacher in school when I was a kid so my friends came over and I would make little lessons and read to them, do dorky things like that.” Ms. Blackmore, a teacher here at centennial, has held a passion for teaching for as long as she can remember.  As this passion grew, so did her strength in subjects such as writing and grammar.

Ms. Blackmore was unsure of what the future would hold, and in the beginning she actually majored in mass communication and wanted to go into advertising.  As she got further into this business though, she realized that the aspects of writing advertisements wasn’t something that she felt would lead her to the success she wanted. “Just having to do with the most popular advertisements are usually geared, I mean they have a very specific audience obviously, but they play on stereotypes and they still do that today, I mean there’s been a shift a little bit but things like laundry detergent and a lot of food commercials are geared towards women because typically it’s the mothers who do the cleaning and the cooking and all that kind of stuff and i personally had an issue with that, like I didn’t want to play into those stereotypes, because it goes against my personal beliefs but at the same time if i don’t do what is expected as far as that goes then i probably wouldn’t be successful as far as that goes.” Eventually after having her first son, Ms. Blackmore traveled down a new road, this one in hopes for majoring in english, and in 2005 she was officially a teacher.

As many know, Ms. Blackmore is a very creative teacher, actually this creates some difficulty in her preparation of her classroom assignments.  Due to the curriculum that teachers have to follow, she often can’t incorporate the many different ideas she hopes for, with art being one of the big ones.  “It’s really hard and sometimes disappointing that I don’t get to do all the things that I want to like I really like incorporating art into the class and I don’t really get to do that as much as I want to.”  In addition, her colorful classroom supports her love in creativity. Many classrooms here at Centennial seem like a holding cell, as the walls are plain and the personalization is not there, but when students walk into Ms. Blackmore’s room it is more of a place to be relaxed while doing your work, not tense.

At home, Ms. Blackmore enjoys many things, one big one being the joy she receives when cooking and baking. She really enjoys being able to prepare meals and desserts for her family and spends some of her free time doing that. An interesting thing students may not know about Ms. Blackmore is that she also enjoys playing pokemon go and candy crush, in which she is on the farthest level you can get to, being that she’s been playing it for so long. But most importantly she chooses to spend as much time as she can with her sons, one who is 19 and goes to CSU Fort Collins and the other who is 17 and a student at Centennial. As her boys were growing up, Ms. Blackmore enjoyed taking them camping and hiking, much like she did with her dad when she was younger, so when given the option to chose between a mountain hideaway and a beach house, her love towards Colorado beamed when she chose a Mountain hideaway.

Ashlyn Denzler, Sports Staff

Ashlyn Denzler is shy, but you’ll catch the creative side of her in the stories she writes. Outside of school, you can catch Ashlyn either dancing or...