Lady Bird

The Next Big Coming-Of-Age Story

Gillian Hawken, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Lady Bird, the movie that has been getting Oscar Buzz for months, released in November 2017, has hit the world by storm in this coming of age story. Already awarded Golden Globes for Best Motion Picture- Musical or Comedy and Best Actress for Musical or Comedy to Soairse Ronan. The story of a young girl and her complicated relationship with her mother, while trying to survive her last year of high school. Christine “Lady Bird” only has one year until college and all she wants is to get out of Sacramento, California, where the movie takes place, and experience the East Coast. Lady Bird is tired of the same old town she grew up in, she wants to experience culture and escape her “poor girl” status in her hometown, but to do so she has the burden of having to pay for her college education herself. Her family has struggled financially their whole life and with the father being laid off, they can barely afford groceries. She has to rely on financial aid, scholarships and loans to be able to live her life in the big apple. The movie has a perfect depiction of poverty in the modern world, as a suburban family in ‘02 struggles to stay afloat. She applies to several universities on the East Coast behind her mother’s back because she doesn’t want to create an argument that is unnecessary. She simply can’t afford it and her mother wants her to be realistic. With the help of her depressed father, she gets in to a school in New York. A surprise to her mother as it is accidentally announced the day of her high school graduation. This causes the biggest altercation between the two in the entirety of the movie. Lady Bird leaves for the big city, while not on talking terms with her mother. This roots a deep sense of regret and sadness between the mother and daughter. Through Christine’s first college experiences away from, she finally starts to understand the beauty of her home and how much she loves her mother. How much they love each other, and this argument will never change their love.

During her last year of high school, she experiences her first love, her first time and all the disappointment that comes along with it. She has difficulty getting along with her mother as she reveals that she thinks Lady Bird isn’t and has never been the best version of herself. Lady Bird knows that she has been a disappointment to her mom all of her life. All she wants is to leave her small town and experience the world and all of the culture it has to offer, while her mother sees this as an act of selfishness. The mother, daughter relationship that the movie focuses on, feels so real. While it is clear that they love each other deeply, they can’t seem to agree on anything the other does. Lady Bird feels what all teenager feel as they are facing the most terrifying time in their life. Senior year, while on the cusp of leaving home and all that you know to be an independent individual, while trying to have fun during your last year of highschool and still making your parents proud. The fear of letting your parents down resides in all young adults as we are on the journey of self discovery. We all have the fear of guilt if you make the “wrong” decision or don’t live up to their expectations. They want the best for you, but what you want doesn’t always fit that typical picture.

This movie is a perfect film for high school students, seniors in particular. Greta Gerwig’s portrayal of a dysfunctional family and the inner workings of the teenage mind is phenomenal. It so accurately imitates the life of a high school girl, struggling financially, emotionally, and mentally. All viewers can find something they relate to or related to in their high school years.

Courtesy of Showbiz411

Courtesy of The Huffington Post

Take your mother out for a movie date and watch Lady Bird. You won’t regret it.