Time’s Up

All About Hollywood's Anti-Harassment Movement

Gillian Hawken, Arts and Entertainment Editor

The Time’s Up Movement started in 2017, just a letter written by Alianza Nacional de Campesinas in solidarity to the Hollywood women involved in exposing the sexual abuse allegations against Harvey Weinstein. Campesinas stated that it was written on behalf of the approximately 700,000 female farmworkers in the United States. Time’s Up was officially founded in The New York Times on January 1, 2018. The announcement stated in support of Campesinas’ letter and the desire to support women, men, people of color, and the LGBT community who have less access to media platforms and funds to speak up about harassment. The following four initiatives were declared:

• A $13-million legal defense fund, administered by the National Women’s Law Center, to support lower-income women seeking justice for sexual harassment and assault in the workplace
  • Advocating for legislation to punish companies that tolerate persistent harassment
  • A movement toward gender parity in studio and talent agencies
  • Calling for women on the red carpet at the 75th Annual Golden Globe Awards to wear black and speak out about sexual harassment and assault

Many stars have donated sizable amounts of money to the foundation this year already. Mark Wahlberg and William Morris Endeavor have donated more than $2 million dollars in the name of his co-star, Michelle Williams, in All The Money In the World. When Wahlberg had earned $1.5 million  for a 10-day reshoot and learned that Williams only received $800 for the same reshoot time, he donated his earnings and $500,000 more to the movement.

Many who attended the 2018 Grammys wore white roses or all-white clothes to express solidarity with the Time’s Up movement. Lorde wore an excerpt from a work by Jenny Holzer, printed on a card stitched onto the back of her dress; the excerpt read, “Rejoice! Our times are intolerable. Take courage, for the worst is a harbinger of the best. Only dire circumstance can precipitate the overthrow of oppressors. The old & corrupt must be laid to waste before the just can triumph. Contradiction will be heightened. The reckoning will be hastened by the staging of seed disturbances. The apocalypse will blossom.” Lorde wrote, “My version of a white rose — THE APOCALYPSE WILL BLOSSOM — an excerpt from the greatest of all time, jenny holzer.

Courtesy of INQUIRER.net

It is also reported that the Time’s Up movement is making it’s wayto the British red carpet. Women will wear black at the BAFTAs in support of the movement. It is not yet confirmed who will be wearing black at the ceremony, but nominees include Frances McDormand,  Sally Hawkins, Annette Bening, Saoirse Ronan, Allison Janney, Octavia Spencer, and Margot Robbie.

“I think that people are aware now of a power imbalance,” Meryl Streep, who brought Poo as her guest, told Ryan Seacrest on the red carpet. “It’s something that leads to abuse. It’s led to abuse in our own industry, and it’s led to abuse across the domestic workers’ field of work. It’s in the military, it’s in Congress, it’s everywhere, and we want to fix that. We feel sort of emboldened in this particular moment to stand together in a thick black line dividing then from now.”

Many stars, including, Emma Watson, Shailene Woodley, Kelly Clarkson, Lady Gaga, Kesha, etc. have expressed their support for the anti-harassment movement on social media, at red carpet events and even on talk shows.