Fall Out Boy’s ‘Mania’ Album

The Fresh New Sound of Fall Out Boy

Jaelyn Hawken, Arts and Entertainment

The pop rock, emo band, Fall Out Boy, have made their comeback since 2015 with their new album, “Mania”. The band consisting of Pete Wentz, Patrick Stump, Andy Hurley, and Joe Trohman released their very first album in 2003 and very quickly got publicity due to their pop rock sound.

The band was originally working on their new album “Mania” from 2016 to ‘17. They planned on releasing it during the end of 2016, early 2017. But, the band soon realized that album was not their best work, and wasn’t quite what they were wanting to release as their seventh LP. So, they scrapped a majority of the album and started from scratch in, only releasing a few of their songs in 2017 from their original copy of the album. Once the whole album was ready to be released in 2018, they publicly stated that their new music would have a new sound. They were leaving their well-known “emo” sound behind, and creating an electro pop sound mixed with their original pop rock sound.

The album was officially released on January 19, 2018. The reviews on the album have been very indifferent due to the

bands new “electro” sound. Listeners have come to believe that it was a smart idea for the band to change their sound a bit as long as they were staying with their original rockish sounds. The band knowing this, kept their album a bit rock and made it #1 to Billboards charts, for the third time! We have also come to realize that some of the songs on Mania are tied to some of their previous songs from other albums. This includes “Champion” relating to their hit song from their previous album American Beauty/American Psycho, “Centuries”.

Though the band has decided to put their rockish vibes to the side, their first single on Mania, “Young and Menace” has an extreme bass drop leading up to the chorus. The song has been compared to their hit song “Sugar We’re Goin’ Down”, released in 2005. Fans find that one of the newest songs, released in April 2017, was the only song on the album that was not entirely electronic.

Pete Wentz, the bassist of the band, is the main lyricist of their music, especially on their new song “Champion”. Listeners were confused with the lyrics behind this album and why they were written. Wentz later goes on to share that he struggles with a severe bipolar disorder, and the songs on this album reflect that and how he is fighting it. Though the album is more pop and the band has changed their sound almost entirely, it is no secret that the band is allowing themselves to open up to their fans much more now that they are in their early and late thirties. The guys have opened up about their mental health in the past 2-3 years and wanted to confirm that this album reflected just that. This includes the songs “The Last of the Real Ones”, “Church”, “Heaven’s Gate”, and “Champion”. The band will continue to write music for their fans, but also for themselves, which creates this new sound the band has included in this new album.

So, the band began touring their original songs from Mania throughout 2017 but, have been playing their newest songs starting early February 2018. The M A N I A Tour will continue throughout this year. The band will finish off the tour in early September to finish their electropop, rock “M A N I A” era.

Jaelyn Hawken, News Staff

Jaelyn, a shy and quiet girl when you first meet her, but once you get to know her she is very outgoing and is extremely sarcastic. She loves to listen...