Back to Article
Back to Article

Falcon Heavy Soars

Falcon Heavy Soars

SpaceX & Founder, Elon Musk, Successfully Orchestrate Launch of the World's Most Powerful Rocket

February 14, 2018

A week ago on February 6th, The SpaceX program and their CEO, Elon Musk, launched the world’s most powerful rocket, named The Falcon Heavy Rocket. History was made at Kennedy Space Center in Florida with the successful launch of the Falcon Heavy.  On board the rocket was a Tesla Roadster, which is now floating in space, with a camera to provide a livestream to everyone back on earth to watch. The Roadster was intended to cruise past mars, but according to a tweet by Elon Musk saying, Third burn successful.  Exceeded Mars orbit and kept going to the Asteroid Belt,” it got pushed away a bit too far.  Also on board the rocket is crew, passengers, luggage, and fuel.

The launch was successful and went according to plan, with the exception of the third middle booster that landed in the ocean, instead of the intended drone ship. The booster even hit the drone ship, destroying two engines on it.  It turns out that the middle booster missed the intended target because it ran out of ignition fluid.  According to Musk, there wasn’t enough ignition fluid to light the outer two engines of the booster. A new drone ship is already being constructed to fix this problem, it will be located on the East Coast. Some speculation occurred, as to what happened to the booster after it hit the water.  Some even believed that The Air Force was involved in an air strike to shoot it down before it crashed landed. We do know that it has been destroyed by a hired company, SpaceX finally revealed. After being questioned about the booster, SpaceX did confirm that they did consider the Air Force initially to destroy the booster, but it has already been destroyed.

The third booster was just a small flaw in this amazing launch, considering that The Falcon Heavy’s two side boosters returned safely to Cape Canaveral. This launch was very exciting for America to watch, it has been especially interesting to see that a car has been sent out in space and put into orbit as well. Look out for something else exciting, when SpaceX conducts another launch for the same satellite company later this year, with the SES-12 satellite scheduled for liftoff in April.