Sadie Hawkins Tradition Continues at Centennial

February 22, 2018

The Sadie Hawkins dance is named after the Li’l Abner comic strip character Sadie Hawkins, created by cartoonist Al Capp. In the strip, Sadie Hawkins Day fell on a given day in November. There was never a specified date in which it fell on. The unmarried women of Dogpatch got to chase the bachelors and “marry up” with the ones that they caught. Unlike traditional dances, where the men chase the women, this empowers women to chase after what they want and not just wait for it to walk their way. In the U.S, the concept of Sadie Hawkins day was popularized by establishing dance events to which the woman invite a man of their choosing.  Unlike traditional dances, where the men chase the women, this empowers women to chase after what they want and not just wait for it to walk their way. It became a woman empowering rite at high schools ever sense.

Out of many high schools that participate in a sadies hawkins dance, Centennial is one. We asked the students of Centennial how they would like to be asked to snowball. Marcus Beltran says “I would like it to just be a poster.”  In fact all the boys we talked to all said they would like to be asked with posters. The reasoning behind this is because they say Snowball isn’t as big a deal as prom or homecoming but would still liked to be asked. Although this is a girls ask guys dance we also got the girls input. Girls would much rather be asked on valentines day because it’s the perfect day to be romantic. Student Madalyn Bigley says “Valentines is the perfect day because you can put your valentines gifts and the proposal together”. Student Nicole Buttram mentions that it’s “not as necessary to go all out because it’s not as big a deal as prom or homecoming.”

In this case, since the roles are switched and everyone is used to guys asking girls, the Snowball Dance puts anxiety on both ends of the stick. Girls now stress on whether or not the guy their asking will say yes. Unlike how during homecoming and prom season when girls worry about even getting asked or not, guys don’t really mind if they are asked or not.

So ladies don’t stress too much, now is your chance to show your empowerment and ask the boy of your dreams to Snowball.