Centennial%27s+Upward+Bound+Teachers+%28left+to+right%29+Mr.+Rodriguez%2C+Mrs.+Dwyer%2C+Ms.+Blackmore%2C+and+Mr.+Sauceda+
Centennial's Upward Bound Teachers (left to right) Mr. Rodriguez, Mrs. Dwyer, Ms. Blackmore, and Mr. Sauceda

Upward Bound Bulldogs Preparing for Their Future

March 2, 2018

Upward Bound is a program that helps young adults develop skills that will help further their education, motivate them in the classroom, and push them to be successful in all aspects of their daily lives. The program provides students with opportunities to visit colleges to see which ones interest them, and provide them with all the appropriate skills to help them attend the school of their liking. Upward Bound is strictly for high school students from low-income families or high school students in which neither parent has a bachelor’s degree. According to the U.S. Department of Education, “The goal of Upward Bound is to increase the rate at which participants complete secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of postsecondary education.”

Here at Centennial, we have three tutors to cover every subject. We have Ms. Blackmore who focuses solely on English/Language Arts, Mr. Sauceda who works with students needing help with social studies and math, and Mr. Rodriguez who can help with any sort of subject from math to english. Mrs. Dwyer is the Site Coordinator and tutors (when she is available) in all subjects.  

At least once a month all the students who are in the program are required to visit with their counselor from CSUP to discuss their grades and the subjects they feel they might need help with.   If the student is in need of a tutor, they will meet with them on Tuesdays and Thursdays after school at Centennial.  Every semester the students are paid a stipend based on the number of times they attended the after school program, or the college visits that Upward Bound holds.

In addition to after-school tutoring, students are required to attend ACES (Academic and Career Exploration Series), one Friday each month, at CSUP.  There are also events every Friday that students can attend to explore different professions. Students are given the opportunity to listen to presentations about different careers and have had to opportunity to work with the auto shop learning how to work on cars.

“I think the best part about Upward Bound is that students are provided with all the knowledge and assistance to help them further their education and attend any college they desire,” said Mrs. Dwyer about Centennial’s Upward Bound Program.

If any student that meets the criteria to participate in Upward Bound is interested, they can contact Mrs. Dwyer in the ELA department at Centennial.