A Quiet Place

John Krasinski’s Deeper Meaning Behind his New Horror Film

Courtesy of Paramount Pictures

Courtesy of Paramount Pictures

Courtesy of Paramount Pictures

Jaelyn Hawken, Arts and Entertaiment

The new 2018 horror film ‘A Quiet Place’, released April 6th, shocked all viewers and movie critics, making it one of the biggest box office films of 2018 thus far. The film stars John Krasinski and his wife Emily Blunt. The film director and co screenwriter John Krasinski, who also stars in the film, challenges himself as he continues his journey in the his acting career. ‘A Quiet Place’ is Krasinski’s first original screenplay and his debut to the horror genre, but this movie is much more than a horror film.

John Krasinski, mostly known for his role as the silly prankster paper salesman, Jim Halpert, from The Office (US Version); which was released early 2005 and continued on until the crew finally parted ways and released the final season in 2013. Krasinski has continued to star in films such as “License to Wed”, Leatherheads”, etc. since his career in acting had began in 2005. In 2007, Krasinski announced his relationship with the very well-known actress, Emily Blunt, and they later got married in July, 2010. To this day, the couple have two of their very own daughters, Hazel and Violet.

Krasinski tells us about how the cast of A Quiet Place was taken care of in many interviews about the film. In one interview, Krasinski tells his story about why he casted his wife, Emily Blunt, as his wife in his new film. He says that he had his wife read over his screenplay for the film and she lovingly tells him that she could not take the role because she was unprepared after just giving birth to their second daughter, Violet. Krasinski, disappointed, sent the script to another woman referred to as “so and so”, and offered her the role. Later on Blunt told Krasinski she wanted the role to join her husband’s journey to create a horror film as a love letter to their children. Krasinski was honored to believe such a star like her wanted to star in his film, so he gave her the part and he continued the production of the film, with his wife as a star.

John Krasinski shares that he has never really been one for horror films, still isn’t, he says the film is less about the horrors of making sure that they are silent for their survival, but more about how important family is and what measures you would go to make sure they are safe. The couple starring in the film address that they would do anything for their two daughters and how important they are to them. They use this knowledge and emotion to make sure their characters reflect those feelings toward their children in the film.

Now, more about the story of the film. The film is about a family who are living in complete silent to guarantee their survival from the unknown monsters roaming on Earth. For quite some time in the film viewers are unaware of what is hunting the characters, but we know that even the slightest amount of noise will have them from being from safe, to being hunted to their death in a matter of seconds. Living in this nightmare, the family does everything they can for each other to secure their safety. The characters experience a few moments where they can live their lives in happiness and bliss. But, a slight mistake is made at home while Krasinski’s character is away, looking for supplies. This mistake changes everything they have built.

Courtesy of Paramount Pictures

Courtesy of Paramount Pictures

No one is safe and the only thing that can truly save them is silence, and the unknown sound that drive the hunters insane.

Jaelyn Hawken, News Staff

Jaelyn, a shy and quiet girl when you first meet her, but once you get to know her she is very outgoing and is extremely sarcastic. She loves to listen...