Avengers: Infinity War

The Beginning of the End

Courtesy of Forbes

Courtesy of Forbes

GIllian Hawken, Arts & Entertainment

“In time, you will know what it’s like to lose. To feel so desperately that you’re right. Yet to fail all the same. Dread it. Run from it. Destiny still arrives.” -Thanos

Yes, although it may sound dramatic, this is how every Marvel fan felt entering the theater to see ‘Infinity War’.

It is here. ‘Avengers: Infinity War’ has finally been released worldwide and Marvel fans don’t know what to do with themselves. After 10 years of Marvel film production, this is what it has all lead up to. Marvel fans tried to prepare themselves for the tremendous loss the Avengers was rumored to have, but know one could have prepared themselves for the shock that they all felt after leaving the theater. April 26th was the day history was made, beating ‘The Force Awakens’ in opening week box office records and creating a frenzy among viewers. Can you imagine if Mr. Robert Downey Jr. hadn’t done us the huge favor of moving the movie’s release date forward a whole week? I don’t think the world could bare to wait another 7 days. ‘Infinity War’ made an estimated $630 million at the worldwide box office, making it the largest opening weekend in history. 

The third installment of Marvel’s Avengers takes place in several planets as the world’s mightiest heroes fight against the world’s mightiest villain, Thanos of Titan, who is played by Josh Brolin. Brolin is also the antagonist in the upcoming ‘Deadpool 2’ movie as well.

Courtesy of Collider.com

We have seen Thanos in other Marvel movies and is well known for being the father of Gamora and Nebula, who are main characters in the ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ franchise. Thanos’ goal is to bring balance to the universe and to do so, he believes he must kill off half of the galaxy. Thanos must attain all 6 Infinity stones, Mind, Space, Reality, Time, Power and Soul. Each of these stones have made  past appearances in the first three phases of the Marvel franchise, except for the Soul stone. Each hold a special power that will help Thanos in balancing the universe. The collector of the stones once said, “Before creation itself, there were six singularities. Then the universe exploded into existence, and the remnants of these systems were forged into concentrated ingots… Infinity Stones.” For Thanos to be able to follow through with his plan, he must collect all 6 stones and to wield them he must wear an Infinity Gauntlet on his hand. Thanos truly believes that what he is doing is for the good of the universe. Restoring balance is what the universe needs to thrive. He knows that he is the only being in the galaxy that has the courage and the will to do it.

The Avengers must do everything in their power to avoid the extinction of half of the galaxy. We face death, survival, heartbreak, some incredible plot twists and everything in between as our heroes fight Thanos divided. We meet old characters and are thrown hints of future heroes. We have the crew from ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’, ‘Spiderman: Homecoming’, ‘Black Panther’ and ‘Doctor Strange’ joining the Avengers. The movie is action packed and the war starts as soon as the opening scene begins. The urgency of the attacks reveal to the audience that Stark and Rogers haven’t been in contact since ‘Civil War’. Captain America’s cinematic entrance filled the room with undeniable excitement as everyone cheered and clapped.

Courtesy of Forbes

Part 2 of ‘Infinity War’ has been confirmed to come out in May of 2019. This upcoming film will answer our undying questions and is rumored to be even more heart wrenching than the last.

Marvel has also recently been accused of falsely advertising the film and that in a sense, this movie was just a big trailer for the final Avengers. The movie was just a big build up to the next. There have been an infinite amount of theories surrounding the internet on what may happen in the next film. Is this hero really dead? Will this hero really die? 

Courtesy of Rediff.com

To fully understand the hype surrounding ‘Infinity War’ you have to go see it in theaters.