Marvel VS DC

May The Best Universe Win

Courtesy of SocialUndeground

Courtesy of SocialUndeground

Courtesy of SocialUndeground

Gillian Hawken, Arts & Entertaiment

Today we live in the superhero era. Comic book movie adaptations thrive as they continue to top box offices worldwide one after the other, but in the past they were quite uncommon. A joke, if you will. They just weren’t taken seriously with viewers. Now, Marvel and DC fans thirst for more superhero movies like they’re crucial to their existence, but which universe is the best? This is a question that seems to stir a lot of controversy. Why does there need to be a better universe? Well, comic book fans are more than happy to argue.

In the past, DC seemed to overshadow the film production of superheroes. Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight franchise, was a fan favorite. The universe told the story of Bruce Wayne, aka Batman’s conflict with his enemies, Scarecrow, the Joker and Bane. We met Catwoman, Lt. Jim Gordon, Harvey Dent, John Blake (rumored to be Robin) and many other iconic characters. But, in the last 10 years, we took an unexpected turn. The first Ironman came out and thus the Marvel universe was born. Since then there have been 19 Marvel films that have all had intertwining movie plots that ultimately united them together in the fight to save the world against, Thanos, in ‘Infinity War’. ‘Infinity War’ just recently made history in beating ‘the Force Awakens’ in highest grossing film it’s opening weekend with a whopping, $641 million. We have met Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Ant Man, Star Lord, Deadpool, Black Panther, Spiderman, etc. and plenty more played by huge stars like, Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Paul Rudd, Ryan Reynolds, RObert Downey Jr. and many more. Most of the characters in the universe have had the privilege of having their own movie franchise also. The trademark of Marvel films that fans go ballistic for is the quick appearance of Stan Lee, the creator of Marvel comics, in each movie. The Marvel films have dominated box offices and have greatly impacted the film industry.

Courtesy of MoviePilot.de

DC has also had its share of success with movies like, Wonder Woman, Suicide Squad and Man of Steel. And with all of this success, there is still yet to be a DC film that tops The Dark Knight, grossing $533,345,358 and The Dark Knight Rises, grossing $448,139,099 in theaters. Two of my personal favorite DC films, although they were some of the universe’s lower grossing films, are Watchmen and Green Lantern. We have also seen the production of Justice League and future films for Aquaman, Shazam and Cyborg. Stars like, Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill, Jason Momoa, Anne Hathaway, Jared Leto, Margot Robbie and many others have joined the DC universe as well to tell the stories of our heroes.

Courtesy of The Indian Express

In comparison, Marvel films tend to do better in theaters. ‘Infinity War’ made more in just its opening weekend than DC’s highest grossing film, The Dark Knight. DC films have had a bad rep since Christian Bale, who played Batman in The Dark Knight, retired. It has proven to be very difficult for the DC universe to rise from the ashes and create a success alike Marvel comics, but they aren’t giving up.

The Detective Comics (DC) is well known for their dark themes compared to Marvel comics and the movies follow this theme quite well. Every DC film has an eerie tone, whereas Marvel films are more bright and “colorful”.

It is quite apparent that both universes have also been nurturing the development of female leading roles and for good reason. Marvel has introduced characters like, Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, Okoye, Shuri, Gamora, the Wasp and the newest addition, Captain Marvel. DC has also had great success with the film production of Wonder Woman and have had appearances from Catwoman and Harley Quinn.

It’s obvious that Marvel has had more movie adaptations than DC and still have about 30 films in the works. Release dates span from 2018 up to 2022. ‘Infinity War’ has proven that Marvel cinematics can beat all superhero fatigues. The huge success of the movie has boosted more film possibilities and has created a new image for Marvel comics.

Both universe’s have passionate fans and incredible films. It’s your turn to decide.

Gillian Hawken, News Staff

Gillian, actually pronounced Jillian, is a music enthusiast and a film lover. Give her a cup of coffee and she is the happiest girl in the world. If she...