The Return of Slender Man

Did Slender Man Miss his Mark? *SPOILERS*

Jaelyn Hawken, Arts & Entertainment

Did Slender Man miss his shot at petrifying his fans with his first self-titled film? Slender Man, a character that you probably have heard about since you were a little kid. The character started out as a scary story that spread around the internet. Children would try to “summon Slender Man” by finding ways on the internet. Whether that was saying his name three times into a mirror in the dark, to actually going out into the woods and doing the full “summoning”. Lots of people do it as a joke to mess with friends, and some do it and admit to seeing him. There have been many incidents about how people have claimed to have seen Slender Man and have gone crazy, or have just gone missing. The story behind it all creates an unsettling story of children blaming extreme incidents, such as the murder of Slender Man to protect loved ones. People tend to believe these occasions of abductions and disappearances are just coincidences, but there are still those who stand by the initial idea of Slender Man being behind it all.

After the trend of Slenderman occurred, gaming companies have made PC games, Xbox games, PlayStation games, etc. based on the horror stories. The goal is usually to find all of the missing notes to escape before seeing and making eye contact with Slender Man. The horror video game went especially popular for gaming YouTubers to scare their viewers with the game, and often scaring themselves.

This brings us to now, August 2018. On Friday, August 10th, the newest rendition of Slenderman was released, a film. The film was hyped quite a lot on social media before it was released. The film stars Javier Botet as Slender Man, Joey King as high school student Wren, Julia Goldani Telles as one of Wren’s friends, and more. The film stars a group of four girls who jokingly try to summon Slenderman. The girls begin to realize that they don’t feel the same as they did before attempting to summon him. The girls read more about him and he either haunts, drives to insanity, or he takes those who summon him. Once one of the girls have gone missing, the others attempt to find out what she was experiencing that made her disappear. The girls start realizing they all start to experience one of the three effects of summoning Slender Man.

But, many viewers and movie critics have recently realized the unfortunate low budget attempt at fulfilling the movie’s hype. It was full of stale, worn-out scares, and unentertaining storytelling. Critics have shared that they found the film more boring than scary. The films hype on the internet did not help the reviews because everyone was expecting more from the ongoing popular storyline of Slender Man. The movie fails to understand that it’s the characters’ fixation on Slender Man, and not the phantom himself, that should be driving the terror toward the audiences. The idea of Slender Man may just now be overused and outdated to truly scare viewers, which is most likely why the film was not a success.