Artist Spotlight: Tim Burton

The Terrifying Yet Whimsical World of Tim Burton

Jaelyn Hawken, Arts & Entertainment

Tim Burton, the well-known fantasy and yet cynical film director and animator, was born on August 25, 1958, in Burbank, California. After majoring in animation at the California Institute of Arts, he worked as a Disney animator for less than a year before striking out on his own. He did many animated short films and later continued on to continuing his work with Disney like in “The Nightmare Before Christmas”. Which I may add is what the Haunted Mansion, located in Disneyland, themes their ride during the Christmas Season of each year. He became well-known for his ability to create films that were equally fantasy, horror, and often whimsical. Burton was not your average kid. He grew up dreaming of being a animator and film director for what some people would call weird and different themes we have not seen too much in the Hollywood Cinematic Universe. Burton’s spin on the well known musical “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street”, starring Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, and Alan Rickman, had won many awards on the beauty of the whimsical feel of the music and the clear horror of the scenes within the film. You will find a similar feeling within one of his very well known films of his own creation “Beatlejuice” starring Michael Keaton and Winona Ryder

.

His continuation of creating such different and interesting films has given Burton plenty of recognition. It is clear to viewers that Burton like to keep many of the same actors within his films. This includes Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Winona Ryder, Sacha Baron Cochen, and Michael Keaton. Not to mention his obvious connection with the musician Danny Elfman, in the band Oingo Boingo. Elfman has written and orchestrated a majority of the music in Burton’s films and is often seen voicing some of the characters within the films. Elfman is seen as Jack Skellington from “The Nightmare Before Christmas” and Bonejangles from “Corpse Bride”.

Burton has a specific style of art when it comes to his animated films. They are all stop-motion claymation films that all correlate with each other. You will see this in films like “Corpse Bride”, “The Nightmare Before Christmas”, “Frankenweenie”, and his short film introducing the style “St. Vincent”. His animations make it clear to viewers who is the creator is. You see his big eyed, corpse looking characters and immediately know, that’s a Tim Burton film.

Tim Burton’s terror and whimsical themes to his films doesn’t fall short toward viewers and movie critics. We will see his work once again in 2019 with his live-action take on the well-known disney film “Dumbo”. There is so much of Burton’s work you have to see beyond what has been said. Keep looking for more. You won’t want to miss it!