5SOS Show Off Their New Pop Sound: Live in Denver

5 Seconds of Summer: Meet You There Tour in Denver, Colorado Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jaelyn Hawken, Arts & Entertainment

The well-known Australian band 5 Seconds of Summer, also known as 5SOS, have made their way into Denver, Colorado, after two years, for the latest tour the Meet You There Tour. The band consists of lead singer and guitarist Luke Hemmings, guitarist Michael Clifford, bassist Calum Hood, and their drummer Ashton Irwin. They released their latest album Youngblood on June 15, 2018. Fans of the band had been teasing the band for the past 2-3 years about releasing a new album due to the last album release being in late 2015. Finally, the album was released and made a shocking comeback from their previous pop punk sound to just pop! Their single “Youngblood” was known to be a success as soon as it was released, but even more once the boys made it #1 on the Billboard Top 100, beating Jay Z and Beyonce. After all their incredible success, slight touring, they began their next world tour for fans to hear Youngblood live in person!

On September 30, 2018, the boys arrived at the Fillmore Auditorium in Denver, Colorado. The concert was all general admission and majority a standing area on the floor, so I knew I had to show up early. The doors opened at 6:30 p.m. that Sunday, but I arrived at 9:00 a.m. to make sure I had a good view of the guys on stage. Sounds crazy, I know, it was. But, it’s not too hard to make friends when you all of the same love for the band, so it was kind of fun. Once 6:30 came around and the doors opened the line that had been wrapping around the entire building turned into a giant crowd pushing their way into the auditorium. They allowed VIP people to go in first but after that I got to make my way toward the stage. It was extremely hot and the show was supposed to start at 7:30 but due to the large crowds, the band’s opening act The Aces appeared on stage around 8:00. After The Aces finished performing, fans began to get impatient and chanted for the boys to get on stage already!  We waited until about 9:00 until 5SOS got to performing. It was crazy, I have been listening to this band for the past five years, and this is the first time I am seeing them beyond my tiny phone screen. They were right in front of me! The band started off the show with one of their incredible songs “Babylon” getting the crowd hyped for the rest of the show. We were all crowded on the floor but once they began to perform people realized their need to dance and jump, we all began to spread out a bit.

The night was going to be one everyone was going to remember because the band had just found out that day that they made it #1 on US radio! The crowd began chanting “number one!” over and over and Luke went on to say “You’re correct Denver is number one”. It was clear we were all very happy for the boys and their extreme successes for the past few months. But, once they performed their song “More” from their newest album I had never been more excited. The amount of times I had listened to that song on my phone and I was officially hearing it live. The concert was unreal. With the colorful lighting matching the aesthetic of the album and continuous energy of the boys on stage, the audience was bound to be working a sweat while having the best night of their lives. I could go on about the amazing night but, it would last forever. The band performed their hit song “Youngblood”, the song giving them all of their most recent success, last. The night was without a doubt one of the best nights of my life and I think many people on the audience would agree. The energy of the night had me heading home with a smile on my face. It was definitely a night to remember and I will never forget the happiness a felt for the few hours those boys performed on stage.

Jaelyn Hawken, News Staff

Jaelyn, a shy and quiet girl when you first meet her, but once you get to know her she is very outgoing and is extremely sarcastic. She loves to listen...