Bulldogs Soar Over Eagles

Ivory Martinez, Sports Staff

On Tuesday October 9th, our Centennial girls volleyball team faced the East High Eagles in our home gym. Though both teams played very well, Centennial was the one to come out on top and win the game in the fourth set.

Five minutes into the first set, our Lady Bulldogs were in the lead with five points to East’s three. As the first set continued, senior Maddie Miller and junior Jamie McManaman, worked together to block any spikes and keep their lead against East. Meanwhile, senior Maddy Bigley spiked some pretty fierce balls onto East’s side of the court. Ultimately resulting in a 25-22 win.

In the Second set, the Bulldogs were quick to score, leading them to a 1-0 lead, although the Eagles weren’t having it and quickly took the lead 5-4. Once again, senior Maddie Miller and this time junior Sam Preuss worked together to block and hold off the Eagles allowing them to reach a 6-5 lead. Senior Tiffany Clement and junior Jamie McManaman both scored off of amazing spikes to help their team reach a 19-13 lead. Although the Eagles weren’t having it, and struck back ultimately winning the second set 25-23.

Once again, in the third set, the Bulldogs were quick to take the lead with a powerful spike by senior Maddy Bigley. But Eagles were quick to catch up with them until Miller tipped the ball over the net tying it 4-4. As the set went on, the Bulldogs continued to work togeth

er allowing Bigley and Clement to once again score off of more forceful driven spikes leading the Bulldogs to 13-8 lead, while Miller worked to block East off until Sam Preuss, was able to take the dogs to victory with a 25-22 win for the third set.

In the last and final set, sophomore Kayla Slaughter served and an amazing spike from East’s number 10, resulted in an early 4-3 lead. The Dogs kept the lead until East’s nu

mber 12 senior Jayden Norton hit a nice driven ball tying the Eagles and the Dogs 9-9. Both teams continued to work hard throughout the fourth set, and even got a little more competitive than they were previously in the other three matches. The Lady Bulldogs continued w

orking as a team and kept the lead throughout the rest of the game until senior Briana Sammons scored the game winning point for Centennial, resulting in a 25-18 win.

The Bulldogs play again Thursday October 11, against Pueblo West at Pueblo West high school. Varsity starts at 7 p.m.

Ivory Martinez, Sports Staff

Ivory Martinez, a 4’11 friendly soul, enjoys playing soccer, sleeping, and eating at Mcallister’s Deli on the reg. Don’t let her height fool you...