“Halloween” 2018 Film Review

Michael Myers Returns for his Newest Rendition of “Halloween”

Jaelyn Hawken, Arts & Entertainment

We’ve all heard of our classic horror films starring Ghost Face from Scream, Freddy Krueger from Nightmare on Elm Street, Jason Vorhees from Friday the 13th, and plenty more. But one we all know, no matter your age, is Michael Myers from the 1978 film “Halloween.” The film stars Jamie Lee Curtis as teenager, Laurie Strode, babysitting in Haddonfield, Illinois on Halloween night. Her friend Annie is also babysitting at another house with her boyfriend who comes for a visit. They are soon attacked by serial killer, Michael Myers. This leads to him murdering five of Laurie’s friends in the film. Michael was a well-known killer after murdering his teenage sister at just the age of 6. But this doesn’t stop Laurie from managing her way into survival at the end of the film. In the end, Michael Myers was thought to be captured, but when Laurie and Michael’s doctor Loomis find his body to be missing, leaving Laurie in complete terror. 

After the initial Michael Myers film was released, seven more Halloween films were made. Throughout all of the films it is clear that Michael is determined to kill Laurie after she escaped him years before.

Michael Myers in the 2018 film “Halloween”

On October 19, 2018, Michael Myers and Laurie Strode make their way back to the big screen. But, the directors made a different approach to the film. The storyline is completely changed when viewers realize that the film ignores all of the previous Halloween films from the second film to the last. This leaves us knowing that after the first Halloween film, Michael Myers is held captive and being treated for his somewhat “insanity”, instead of escaping, like we see at the end of the original film. But, instead of him escaping multiple times like in the sequels, he has been held for the past 40 years.  Laurie has not seen Michael since the cabin attack since 1978. The film consists of  Michael Myers, Laurie, her daughter, her granddaughter, and her granddaughter’s friends. Michael Myers is transferred to a new hospital for his safety. But, before he could arrive at his new home, the bus crashes. This is a clear escape for Michael Myers. He then comes in contact with his mask and is back to his old murderous ways. Michael Myers was now back into the world of Laurie Strode after 40 years, and he slowly does his killings while making his way to her and her family.

Laurie Strode and her daughter in the 2018 film “Halloween”

Viewers are finding the idea of ignoring the sequels of the original film very unique. It often reminds me of the Evil Dead films. The Evil Dead was a film made in 1981. In 1987, the directors recreated the film with mostly the same actors called “Evil Dead 2.”  It has the same storyline, but this one ends a little differently with the star of the films, Ash, losing his sanity entirely. He also makes some new friends in the second film that were not along for the ride within the first. The plot of this second film was created to lead to a better and more sensible way of leading into the last film called “Army of Darkness”. Evil Dead 2 acts as though the first film did not exist before this one. This relates to The newest Halloween film acting as though the previous sequels never happened. The newest rendition of the “Halloween” film has been very successful so far. With their packed theaters, it is clear viewers could not be more excited for Michael Myers’ and Laurie Strodes’ return after all these years.

Laurie Strode in 2018 film “Halloween”

Jaelyn Hawken, News Staff

Jaelyn, a shy and quiet girl when you first meet her, but once you get to know her she is very outgoing and is extremely sarcastic. She loves to listen...