Senior, Buddie Nicoli, gives chase while playing defense during the Bell Game

Bell Rings Red After 118th Annual Bell Game

October 24, 2018

On October 19, 2018, the Centennial Bulldogs and Central Wildcats suited up to square off in the 118th annual Bell Game.  It was a busy week for both schools, as well as a stressful one, as both anticipated Friday night to see which color the Bell would ring.  Much to Central’s disappointment, the Bell would ring red for the 3rd year in a row as Centennial beat Central 24-12.

As the pre-game clock ticked down Friday Night at Dutch Clark Stadium to indicate the start of the game, energy and school spirit was bursting from both sides.  Both football teams emerged out of their tunnels, the National Anthem was performed, and Bell Game 2018 was underway.  It was promised to be a good game right away as Central’s Nico Martin had a good kickoff return, but the Bulldogs were able to contain them on their first drive. This wasn’t the case the rest of first quarter however as Senior Quarterback, Marcus Duran, was able to escape to the goal line to lead a drive resulting in a 6-0 lead before a failed extra point.

Before the end of the half, however, Centennial Quarterback, Devin Blue, was able to run into the end zone for a touchdown and Senior Defensive End Dylan Vigil pushed his way past Central’s defense to make the 2-point conversion good.  The Bulldogs had the lead going into halftime 8-6.

Devin Blue throws a TD pass to Nic Montoya

The Bulldogs came out ready to fight for the second half.  The defense played their hearts out and didn’t allow Central to score during the third quarter.  The offense moved their way down the field throughout the quarter and Blue was able to connect with Wide Receiver, Nic Montoya, in the end zone. 

Going into the last quarter of the game, the Bulldogs were leading 16-6 until senior running back, Brandon Roberts, Centennial ran his way into the end zone for a touchdown, as well as a two point conversion, making the score of the game 24-6 with a little over five minutes remaining.  The Wildcats didn’t give up though, as Marcus Duran once again found his way in the end zone making the score 24-12, however, Central’s attempted 2 point conversion was no good. Central also recovered the onside kick giving their fans hope of a possible come back. That was all until Centennial senior, Keshaun Telley, intercepted the ball ending the game as the Bulldog offense decided to let the clock run down.  Screams erupted from Centennials side because for the third year in a row, the Bell Rings Red.

Centennial’s student section cheering during the 118th annual Bell Game

After the game, Bulldog fans rushed to Centennial High School to celebrate the boys and all their hard work.  After talking with some of the boys, Senior Buddie Niccoli who played a great game said, “We told each other we had to play for each other all week and it paid off.”  Another Senior, Nic Montoya, who not only scored a touchdown but also caught an interception noted, “This was by far my favorite bell game to play in. The atmosphere was amazing and so were both supporting sides. I won’t ever forget my last Bell Game and what it felt like picking off Brandon Martin and catching that touchdown pass Devin threw to me.”

Buddie Nicoli hyping up the student section during the Bell Game

These last two weeks of the regular reason are very crucial for the Bulldogs. They’re not only both league games, but they also determine whether the boys go to the playoffs or not.  On October 26th the Bulldogs face off against Pueblo South at Dutch Clark, and against Pueblo County on November 2nd at Pueblo County High School, both games starting at 7:00 pm.