Haunted Pueblo

Part 2: The Rosemount Museum

Chloe Chigro, News Staff

The Rosemount Museum is one of the most well-known places in all of Pueblo. Schools go there for field trips, and families go to have a small getaway from home while still staying in town. However, the history of the house is nothing short of depressing, which could be the cause for the multitude of spirits that reside there.

The house was built in 1893 by the famous architect Henry Hudson for Margaret and John Thatcher. John Thatcher opened the First National Bank of Pueblo, and Margaret was the first public school teacher in Pueblo. The couple was already fairly well-known around town, and this house cemented their celebrity. Built with pink volcanic stone for the exterior and a multitude of different woods for the interior, this almost-castle housed the Thatcher family for years and years.

Margaret and John had five children who all inhabited the house. First was Lenore, then Lillian, then John Jr., then Albert, and then finally Raymond. Albert, however, died at the young age of 3 inside the house. Since this was in the Victorian times where death at a young age was common, it was not an oddity at all.

The family lived a lavish life despite this looming threat of death, and many of their adventures are symbolized in some of the objects in their house. Taxidermied animals, glamorous handmade outfits, and even a real mummy are only some of the things held in the house that display their history.

Stepping into this house is like stepping back in time. The house is still almost completely intact, staying true to its Victorian roots despite being in 2018. All of the furniture, woodwork, decor, and artifacts stay there as if never touched, never lived in.

Death came in waves for the family. The next to pass after Albert was their oldest child, Lenore, in 1890. The family died one by one, ending with Raymond in 1968. Afterward, the descendants of the family turned the house into a nonprofit museum to keep the memory of the family and their impact alive.

However, not only the memory of the family resides there.

There are multiple reports of spirits in the house, from hearing footsteps to seeing flashes of light or shapes moving out of someone’s peripheral vision. No known reports of full-bodied apparitions exist, but we can definitely conclude there are some people residing in that house. They are most likely the previous residents, and who are we to be angry at them for living their life in the only place they feel comfortable in?

The Rosemount Museum is an amazing place to visit, whether you want to see a beautiful part of history, want to see some ghosts or both. The museum is a beautiful and welcoming place, and the ghosts definitely don’t mind having some company.

Chloe Chigro, News Staff

Chloe Chigro is a vocal character in the community, and she loves reading, singing, playing the ukulele, playing with her cats, and watching TV. She loves...