The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

Sabrina Spellman Returns to Greendale in the “Sabrina the Teenage Witch” Reboot

Kiernan Shipka as Sabrina Spellman in the Netflix series

Kiernan Shipka as Sabrina Spellman in the Netflix series "Chilling Adventures of Sabrina"

Jaelyn Hawken, Arts & Entertainment

The late 90’s television show hit “Sabrina the Teenage Witch”, that ended in 2003, has been rebooted with a more modern and dark twist. “Chilling Adventures of Sabrina”, a Netflix original series released on October 26, 2018, brings us back to Greendale, experiencing the world of Sabrina Spellman once again. The shows are based off of Sabrina’s story in the Archie Comics (which also connect to the world of Riverdale, another hit TV show currently). This new Netflix series brings back the most well-known, and loved characters from the comics. This includes Aunt Hilda, Aunt Zelda, Harvey Kinkle, and more!

In the new series first season, Sabrina (played by Kiernan Shipka) is a half witch, forced to make a life changing decision. This means she has to sign “The Book of the Beast”, and leave all mortals behind. She has to attend “The Academy of Unseen Arts” to grow and to serve the Dark Lord. Or she can stay in the mortal world, leaving all of her wicked powers behind. Seems like a simple decision for someone raised as a witch her whole life, but she struggles to decide because she doesn’t want to leave her two best friends and her boyfriend, Harvey Kinkle (played by Ross Lynch) behind. We get to see Sabrina and Harvey express their true feelings to each other just a few days before what they call her “dark baptism”, making her decision that much more difficult.

Sabrina arrives at her dark baptism on her sixteenth birthday on Halloween night. She says her loving goodbyes to Harvey, expecting to never see him again. But, she later realizes she never truly had the intention of giving up all of her freedom to the Dark Lord, and decides not to sign the book of the beast. This leaves Sabrina to realize that the Dark Lord and the academy’s high priest had been making it truly impossible for her to not sign the book. This makes Sabrina’s aunts, Hilda and Zelda upset, causing them to side with the high priest in this fight for Sabrina’s mortality. Sabrina sees the evil behind signing and is dedicated to get what she desires, no matter the consequence.

Throughout the 10 episodes of part 1 of the show, we see Sabrina continue to protect her loved ones in the real world and wicked world, while also hiding her secret life as a witch. But, this doesn’t stop Harvey and her friends from experiencing haunting things, later questioning Sabrina’s mortality.

On October 28, 2018, Kiernan Shipka was live streaming and addressed they are currently filming episode 6 of season 2 of the series. This has gotten viewers excited about the hopefully soon upcoming season of the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. This twisted version of the Archie Comics’ “Sabrina the Teenage Witch” has gotten audiences fearful, yet prepared for Sabrina’s somewhat unknown future within the different worlds of witches and mortals. Also, to eliminate our continuous fear due to the insane cliffhanger Sabrina left us with in this first season of the “Chilling Adventures of Sabrina”.

Jaelyn Hawken, News Staff

Jaelyn, a shy and quiet girl when you first meet her, but once you get to know her she is very outgoing and is extremely sarcastic. She loves to listen...