Senior, Jillian Kelly

Stress and Strife in October

Looming Application Deadlines put Pressure on Prospective College Students

November 1, 2018

For kids, October was a fun month that ended with a night of dressing up and getting tons of candy. But for seniors at Pueblo Centennial, October was the first of many months spent on a battlefield. The warriors? Students and their dream schools.

FAFSA opened on October 1st, and numerous deadlines cropped up through the month, whether for scholarships or early decision applications. We spoke with some students about the stress of applying to college… and starting their new lives.

“College is an expectation in my family,” said senior Jillian Kelly, whose father works at CSUP. “So it’s a major stressor.”  She went on to say that so far, she’s applied to five colleges, all without the help of sites like the Common and Coalition Applications, and that she and her mother have begun the FAFSA.  “It’s super confusing. I think they do it on purpose,” she said about the financial aid site.

Even underclassmen are on the edge of their seats. Ben Christoferson, a 16-year-old junior, said, “I’ve got some stress, too. I’m worried about the SAT. It’s stupid that one test defines your future, but it does.” He says he’s undecided about his future school, but he’s already looking into numerous potential scholarships.

On the other hand, some students are taking everything in stride.

“I see why things are stressful [for others], but I’m not too worried,” Tiffany Clement, another senior, said. “College isn’t really an expectation for me since my mom went and didn’t finish.” In addition, the 18-year-old hasn’t even applied for scholarships— her college is paid for by the Potawatomi Reservation, which her father is a part of.

Whatever the case may be, everyone strived to defeat those dastardly apps this month, and they took the first step toward becoming a nurse, an actor, an English teacher with the Peace Corps, or anything from their wildest dreams.

As the battle continues, keep seniors in your thoughts!