“Bohemian Rhapsody” Film Review

The Biopic Film based on the Rock n' Roll Band "Queen" Allows Fans to See Inside the Life of Freddie Mercury

Back to Article
Back to Article

“Bohemian Rhapsody” Film Review

Rami Malek as Freddie Mercury in

Rami Malek as Freddie Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody"

Jaelyn Hawken, Arts & Entertainment

I won’t be a rockstar. I will be a legend.” says legendary rock n’ roll icon, Freddie Mercury. Although the classic rock band “Queen” started their band in the early 70’s and ended in the early 90’s, all generations since have been affected by Freddie Mercury’s insane musical accomplishments. The band consisted of Freddie Mercury, Brian May, Roger Taylor, and John Deacon. They created a new world and genre of music, allowing people to enjoy rock n’ roll music, while expressing themselves in several ways. Just like Freddie did throughout the years of Queen. His out of the ordinary fashion sense was new and influential for fashion for the future. This includes dressing in drag (shown in their “I Want to Break Free” music video).

Freddie Mercury at Wembley Stadium for Queen’s Live Aid performance on July 13, 1985.

This brings us to the year 2018. The biopic film based on Queen, and more specifically their lead singer Freddie Mercury, called “Bohemian Rhapsody” was released November 2, this year. The title of the film is based off of the title of Freddie’s most successful song writings and recordings, Bohemian Rhapsody, that is relatively 6 minutes long!

Rather than the film starring huge well known stars, the talented Rami Malek stars as Freddie Mercury. Malek was so committed to the role that he even wore fake teeth to look as close to Mercury’s appearance as possible. Fans of the band were happy to see such a talented and closely related actor playing Mercury. We are now allowed to see the travels and growth of Freddie Mercury throughout this film. This includes the formation of the band, the pain of rejection, the slow arising, and the official success. We watch the band sing their killer songs like Killer Queen, We Will Rock You, Another One Bites the Dust, and of course Bohemian Rhapsody. The writing and recording of Bohemian Rhapsody was entirely different than any other artist had ever recorded before.

Sure, we get to see the adventures of the band, but we also get to see many things from Freddie’s personal life that formed him into the person he was as the rock n’ roll icon he is known as today.

Mary Austin, Freddie’s one true love. She watches his slow realization of his true sexual orientation. We see his confusion of being a gay man in an era that homsexuality was not socially accepted in, while also having the love of his life being a woman. His travels in the band helped him solve his confusion, and allowed him to love whoever he loved, even if it meant the woman he loved would have to move on. 

During the late 80’s and early 90’s aids was no friend to society. Without a cure many people lost their lives to the disease. In 1991, unfortunately, after all of his self-discoveries, the icon passed away due to the terrifying passing of aids. The film shows Mercury slowly becoming sicker and revealing to his band he has “it”. But, one inaccurate part of the film is the time when Freddie realizes he has the disease. The film is based around the performance at Live Aid, which means the revealing of his aids was shown before the Live Aid show. But, in reality Freddie was diseased about two years after their performance at Live Aid. But, fans of the band have mostly overlooked the mistake because of their understanding for the plot needing to fit within the already lengthy film.

After watching the film, I had come to realize that Freddie Mercury was a non-stop hard worker. His success was well deserved and his passing was tragic. As a teenager in the 21st century I can say that although I was not alive during his life, I can see his clear effect on the world and I will continue to listen to Queen for as long as possible. With two of the original members of the band helping make the film more accurate, we get to see the truth behind Mercury’s many lovers and his growth as a rock n’ roll icon. 

Jaelyn Hawken, News Staff

Jaelyn, a shy and quiet girl when you first meet her, but once you get to know her she is very outgoing and is extremely sarcastic. She loves to listen...