Bulldogs win as West/North Side Rivalry is Rejuvenated

Back to Article
Back to Article

Seth Nunez, Sports Staff

This game means a lot more than just another non-league game for the Bulldogs. Tonight marked the rebirth of the West/Northside rivalry. Although the score was lopsided in the Bulldogs favor, this game meant so much more. The gym was packed with students from both schools showed up in bunches. Just from walking in the gym you could tell this rivalry was about to be reborn. Only 2.7 miles separate these two schools which makes this one all the more special. This rivalry dates all the way back to 2010 (keep in mind DHPH opened its doors in 2004). Tonight’s win for the Bulldogs made this overall series become 4-4. With DHPH winning the first four games and Centennial winning the last four meetings. This rivalry was at its peak back when the Bulldogs played in the 3A Tri-Peaks division. The Bulldogs only played in 3A for 2 years as a rebuilding procedure for the program. In the first year of their 3A stint, the Bulldogs fell twice to DHPH giving them their fourth consecutive victory over the Bulldogs. In their second year in the Tri-Peaks league, the Bulldogs won both games by substantial amounts giving the Bulldogs their first two wins in this rivalry. They met again in 2015 hoping to rejuvenate the rivalry but it wasn’t quite there that year as the Bulldogs raced past the Scorpions.

This year the rivalry was certainly rejuvenated, plenty of “smack” talk had been going on between these two teams all week, so when game time came the gym was loud and Scorpion faithful made themselves known. They jumped out to an early 11-7 lead over the Bulldogs but was eventually erased as the Bulldogs led 13-11 after one quarter. In the second quarter, the Bulldogs began to overwhelm the Scorpions and raced to a 44-24 lead over the Scorpions at halftime. The Second half was much more of the same as the Bulldogs were able to all in all dominate this basketball game and come away with a 78-42 win over the Scorpions. But the score isn’t what rejuvenated this rivalry, the school spirit leading up to the game as well as the turnout for this game is what made this rivalry come back alive. Centennial head coach Ryen Romero, was the first coach in DHPH history as he holds the record for the most wins in school School history (20), while also coaching the best team in school history (2010-2011). He was very humbled to return back to the school where he started, he stated: “it’s always fun but tough to come back and play here, I spent a ton of time here building this program up”. When asked how he felt about the rivalry being brought back to life he had nothing but good things to say stating “you know when I coached here we played Centennial and it feels good to bring this rivalry back”.

So, all in all, today was huge because it brought back a rivalry that means so much more than anyone outside of these two schools could see. So it’s good to see this West/Northside rivalry coming back to life.

Seth Nunez, Sports Staff

Seth Nunez is a huge sports enthusiast. He enjoys any type of sports (baseball mostly), he also enjoys 2 AM Adolfos trips after a Saturday with the boys. ...