Bulldogs Fall in SCL Opener

Back to Article
Back to Article

Bulldogs Fall in SCL Opener

Seth Nunez, Sports Staff

The night didn’t start off bad for the Bulldogs as they raced to and an early 5-3 lead but that was erased as the Wildcats went on to take early 9-5 and 11-7 leads before eventually running to a 17-10 lead after 1Q. In the second quarter, the Wildcats defense stepped up their game even more as they rarely let the Bulldogs get an open shot, to top that off nearly every failed possession for the Bulldogs turned into a score for the Wildcats. Early in this game, it was the Martin Brothers show, as they led by example for ‘Cats on both sides of the ball. Senior Ben Beltran hit 3 of his 6 three-pointers of the game in the second quarter.

Eventually leading to a huge 36-19 lead for Central heading into the half. Central came out for the second half and picked up exactly where they left off scoring 7 unanswered points leading to a 43-19 lead for the Wildcats. They never took their foot off the throttle as they ran through the rest of the 3rd quarter holding a 53-28 lead as we headed to the fourth quarter. One minute into the fourth a jump ball happened directly in front of the Centennial bench which turned into a scuffle between the two teams which almost led to both benches clearing. But both teams were able to separate before anyone left the bench. This scuffle led to two technical fouls given out, one to Centrals Nico Martin and our own Kyle Szakel.

The Bulldogs seemed to use that as motivation as they went on to take control of the fourth and bring the game to a close then it was, but the comeback effort ultimately fell short as the Wildcats held on for a 72-52 win. The Bulldogs were led in scoring by Antonio Rodriguez who put up 21 points, while Jayden Villeda chipped in 12 of his own. The Wildcats were lead by Ben Beltran who put 20 points, 6 of which came via the three ball. Brandon Martin chipped in 16 as well. Next up for the Bulldogs is a trip to Dolores Huerta High School for their final non-league game which begins at 6PM on Thursday, January 17.

Seth Nunez, Sports Staff

Seth Nunez is a huge sports enthusiast. He enjoys any type of sports (baseball mostly), he also enjoys 2 AM Adolfos trips after a Saturday with the boys. ...