Back to Article
Back to Article

Cole Hernandez is Cementing his Legacy at Centennial High School

February 5, 2019

Cole Hernandez isn’t just any bulldog, the mark he’s leaving here at Centennial is something most kids dream about. He is a three-sport athlete who maintains a 3.8 GPA, he doesn’t just excel in one sport but all three that he participates in, including cross country, wrestling, and baseball.  Cole will be remembered as one of the greatest wrestlers to step on the mat here at Centennial.  As of right now, he is ranked number two in the state in his weight class of 145 pounds.

That didn’t just happen randomly, he has spent almost his entire life wrestling day in and day out, not only was it his own choice to be there but he also had his grandfather Coach Gary Adamson in his corner pushing him to be the best wrestler that he could be. He has had the same work ethic from start to beginning and that is to just work and wrestle as much as possible. He said what has helped his technique the most this season was “working with ex-wrestlers, some college guys, and really get the most out of each practice.” He also stated that what has changed from this year from the last three years was “getting out of my head.” “The last three years I was always overthinking everything but since it’s my senior year I’m just going out and doing what I know how to do.”  

This has shown tremendously, this year he has won three invites including The East Invitational, The Warrior Classic, and The Bulldog Invite. He also traveled to Kansas for a tournament and ended up taking second and currently has a record of 37 wins and 2 loses this year. His hard work also has pushed him to the collegiate level, he will be attending Western State University in Gunnison, Colorado. Cole’s family is super proud of him because his hard work finally paid off and they think that Western is the absolute perfect fit for Cole. His mom Karlie said, “He loves to be outdoors fishing and the campus fits that, it’s smaller, and he also bonded well with coaches.” His dad Garrett said, “I am extremely proud of his work but more proud of what an amazing young man he’s becoming, I can’t wait to see him branch out.” It’s obvious how much time and dedication has been spent on the mat each time Cole gets out there, his knowledge and love for the sport helps him prevail. Cole will definitely be an amazing asset to this program, due to hard work and dedication.

Overall what Cole is doing for the wrestling community and our school is something that really makes him stand out. Although it’s Coach Gary Adamson’s last year coaching Cole knows that if he can go out and do what he knows best that no matter what outcome he has, Coach will be proud so his goal to send him out on a good note is to do just that. Their last home match is this Thursday on February 7th so go check out what Cole is doing for our school and to honor the 30 years that Coach Gary has dedicated to wrestling.