Back to Article
Back to Article

Bulldogs Shock Pueblo East In Big SCL Matchup

February 12, 2019

Going into Friday nights matchup against Pueblo East the ‘Dogs were losers of 5 straight. The Eagles came into this game winning five of their last seven, only losing to Pueblo West in those seven games. Centennial sat at 38 in the latest RPI ranking, six spots away from hosting a a playoff game, and Pueblo East sat at 12. These rankings were prior to the big upset fans at the Southwest Motors Events Center were about to witness.

This game started off very slow paced, the first quarter consisted of a lot of missed shots and neither team being able to pull away. This led to Centennial holding a slim 13-12 lead over the Eagles at the end of one quarter. The second quarter was much more of the same as these two teams continue to battle in this scrappy defensive game. Bulldog Senior Jeremiah Lange caught fire in the second quarter getting a lot of his points in this quarter alone. This one went into halftime with East holding a slim lead over the Bulldogs. The Dogs did not panic They kept their composure and were able to battle back for a huge 58-52 lead over the Eagles at the end of three quarters. The fourth quarter was the most eventful of the evening. Four of the five Pueblo East starters fouled out in this quarter. This frustration led to three technical fouls being handed out to Eagle players as well. All this momentum for the Bulldogs led them to pull away with a huge 87-67 win over the Eagles.

This win jumped the Bulldogs four spots in the RPI rankings to NO. 34. The Bulldogs now only sit two spots away from hosting their first playoff game in over a decade and a half. The Bulldogs end the season against the two D70 schools in the SCL as they host Pueblo County on February 12th, then end the regular season at Pueblo West High School on February 15th. Both of these games are set to begin at 7PM.