Back to Article
Back to Article

Hornets Spoil Bulldog Senior Night

Hornets Spoil Bulldog Senior Night

February 14, 2019

It was an emotional night for the Bulldog seniors and their parents, as their “babies” were set to play the final home game of their high school basketball career. The Dogs came into this game following an 87-67 upset of Pueblo East. The Hornets were coming off an emotional loss at home to 4A #5 Pueblo West.

This game meant a lot for both teams, as the Hornets were looking to stay in the playoff picture, and the Bulldogs were looking to secure home-court advantage in Round 1 of the playoffs. The teams traded baskets early, and after one quarter, this game was tied at 13. The second quarter began the same way, but Pueblo County’s Blake Cesar came to life and helped his team take advantage of the Bulldogs’ mishaps, as they held a 29-23 lead at halftime of this game.  The second quarter proved to be the decider in this game as the Hornets outscored the Bulldogs 42-39 in the second half. The Dogs were able to pull within 4 points in the final quarter but missed opportunities proved to be the ultimate decider in this loss for the Bulldogs as the Hornets were eventually able to pull away late and hold on for a huge 71-62 win to help secure their playoff chances.

This loss dropped the Bulldogs to NO. 38 in the RPI standings (top 32 teams host)  which means to host a playoff game they will have to take down SCL giant Pueblo West and get a little bit of help from the teams in front of them. That game is set to take place February 15 at Jerry Kersey Gymnasium in Pueblo West with a Tip-off set for 7 PM.