Maddy Bigley Hits Hard On and Off the Court

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jillian Kelly, Sports Staff

No matter where you are in the Centennial building, if Maddy Bigley hits the ball you can hear it echo through the halls. Standing at a whopping 5’7 Bigley is the outside and opposite hitter for the Centennial varsity volleyball team. However, not only can she slam the ball down but she can also dig it right back up as she also plays back row as a defensive specialist. Her strength as an all around player on the court is something that she has worked very hard for. On average, she trains everyday for 2-3 hours to perfect her skills. This hard work on the court and in the weight room reflects for her success in her high school career. As a Junior she was 2nd Team SCL and as a Senior she was 1st Team SCL. She really made a mark on the Centennial Volleyball program her Senior year as she earned All State Colorado Girls Association 2018 and All State Colorado High School Association 2018.

Maddy Bigley is a huge part of the team. She brings intensity and tenacity to every practice and game. She helped lead the team to several victories throughout the season and helped keep her teammates positive through tough matches. She helped coach and gave advice to everyone on the court so they could all work together as a unit. Her courageous attitude is contagious and anyone who is on the volleyball team can say the same.

Maddy Bigley has a passion for what she does and lives for volleyball. Once school season ends, she goes right into club volleyball. She plays for Team Colorado Volleyball Club-18 National and 18s Beach. However, Bigley has developed a lot more skills than just passing and hitting when it comes to volleyball. Volleyball has taught her the importance of leadership within a team and the amount of teamwork it takes to achieve a common goal. She takes being apart of a team very seriously as she stated, “My biggest role models would be my teammates. They are constantly pushing me to do better and be a better person on and off the court.” Three words to describe the indescribable Maddy Bigley are tenacious, unique, and efficient.

Bigley’s accomplishments don’t just stop on the court. She is currently enrolled in several AP and honor level classes and has a cumulative gpa of 4.5. Not only does she focus on her grades but she focuses on extra curricular activities as well. She is an active member in Stugo, Annual staff, Newman club, NHS, SNHS, Science NHS, Girls Cabinet, DECA, and FBLA. She takes the leadership skills she learned on the court and applies them to her very important job as the Student Body President. She brings a positive attitude and school spirit to the halls of Centennial and will continue to do the same at McDaniel College in Westminster MD where she plans to study psychology and kinesiology and also plans to continue her volleyball career.