Back to Article
Back to Article

Carter & Company Spring Into New Season

Carter & Company Spring Into New Season

March 6, 2019

Going into this season, the vibe is a little different from years past. Any team that puts on a Centennial soccer jersey is determined to win the SCL and make a playoff run but this year the vibe is a run for the trophy. The Bulldogs come in at NO. 6 in the preseason polls, Centennial will look to four year starter and Fort Lewis commit Kinley Carter for guidance this year. When asked about how she feels going into this season she stated, “this year I feel a lot less pressure being signed.  I feel like I could just play the game I love and hopefully help lead my team to a state championship…I think this is the strongest we’ve ever been and a lot of people are counting us out, and we hope to prove those people wrong this year.”

The ‘Dogs look to improve off of a second round appearance last year, in which all the girls felt they could have gone further. On the defensive side of the ball the Bulldogs will look to junior Allison Sparks to hold it down. She as been a key part of the Bulldog defense since her freshman year. “My personal goal is to be the best player I could be and help contribute to my team the best I can,” said Sparks.  

Head Coach Jeff Sterling remains at the helm and looks to continue his already winning legacy this year, but he also realizes just how special this team can be. “I feel like this team knows that last year we should of went further and I hope we show that urgency to make it to the final…we only lost 3 of the 14 girls who played a ton of minutes for us last year,” Sterling noted.  Centennial’s toughest hill to climb this year will be beating themselves and not playing as a family, other than that this team is most certainly a favorite to make it to the final.

2018: 15-2 5-0 (SCL) Lost Second Round

Head Coach Jeff Sterling 22nd season

Key Returners:  Kinley Carter sr, Allison Sparks jr, Lainee Vujcich so, Allie Jones so, Ivory Martinez sr, Fernanda Rios sr. Mikayla Henson so.

Key Dates:

3/7 Season Opener

3/13 Lewis Palmer (2018 4A Second Round)

4/2 Pueblo County (2018 4A Playoff Appearance)

4/19 Palmer Ridge (2018 4A Playoff Appearance)

4/27 Manitou Springs (2018 3A Playoff Second Round)