Back to Article
Back to Article

Centennial Baseball Looking to Return to Winning Form

Centennial Senior Baseball Players (left to right) Keyshaun Telley, Jeremiah Lange, Nehemiah Hernandez, Seth Nunez, Zachariah Slaughter

March 6, 2019

Going into the 2019 season the Bulldogs are looking to bounce back to relevance from the past couple seasons. Over the last two seasons, the ‘Dogs have compiled a win-loss record of 7 wins to 31 losses. One thing that you will notice is different is that this year’s team is they are very senior heavy. The last two seasons the Bulldogs have only had 2 senior starters. This years team will have total of 6 senior starters step out onto the field. This is something the ‘Dogs haven’t seen since the 2016 season, that team compiled a record of 15-6 and a playoff victory. Senior first basemen Seth Nunez touched on the struggle of the last two seasons and his goal for this year stating, “The past two seasons here have been very rough years, we haven’t made the playoffs since my freshman year but ultimately our goal this year is no different from the previous two we want to get in playoffs.” It’s easy to tell going into this season the Bulldog baseball team has very high hopes for the upcoming season even though the past two have been rough.

Senior shortstop Nehemiah Hernandez touched on the different atmosphere in this year from years past. “I think the atmosphere will change because our senior class is a ton of leaders and we want to prove all the talk about winning we’ve been doing since freshman year is possible to everyone”  These two seniors also touched on the mark they want to leave on the team after their final season with Seth Nunez stating “Hopefully after I graduate players who are underclassmen now and incoming players know who I was, I want them to come in and follow in my footsteps as a player.” Nehemiah Hernandez also touched on this subject saying “I hope shortstops in the future of Centennial look to model their game after the way I play.”  

Second-year Bulldog head coach Joe Vigil was an assistant here for nearly twenty years before getting the nod to be the head guy. After a rough first season, Vigil stated: “We look to build off a lot of things we did last year, we lost a lot of one-run ball games, we want to turn those losses into wins this year.” Coach Vigil certainly brings a different style of play to the Bulldogs and he touched upon that stating, “We’re not trying to reinvent the wheel from years past but I do play a little different style of baseball” With high expectations this Bulldog team looks to turn things around and turn some heads this year.

2018: 3-16 2-8 (SCL) Missed Playoffs

Head Coach: Joe Vigil 2nd Season

Key Returners: Zachariah Slaughter sr, Seth Nunez sr, Nehemiah Hernandez sr, Keyshaun Telley sr, Chazz Vigil jr, Jeremiah Lange sr, Louie Martinez Jr.

Players to watch: Cole Hernandez sr, Victor Martinez Jr, JJ Cardinal so.

Key Dates:

3/7 Season Opener

3/11 Canon City (2018 4A Sweet 16)

3/15 Palmer Ridge (2018 4A Sweet 16)

3/15 D’Evelyn (2018 4A Playoff Appearance)

3/16 Greeley Central (2018 4A Playoff Appearance)

3/20 @ Golden (2018 4A Sweet 16)

3/25 Falcon (2018 4A Playoff Appearance)

4/6 Pueblo West (4A Runner-up)

4/13 @ Pueblo Central Rivalry

4/20 Pueblo East Rivalry

4/23 @ Pueblo West

4/30 Pueblo Central

5/7 @ Pueblo East