Small But Mighty, Ivory Martinez Knows How To Get It Done

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jillian Kelly, Sports Staff

When game day rolls around you’ll always find Ivory Martinez getting pumped up in the locker room blaring Let’s Go by Trick Daddy. Standing at a whopping 4’10, Ivory is always a positive energy on and off the field. When playing right wing, there is no doubt that she will start a big power play to help her team fight for the win. Her confidence has bloomed after battling on the field for 11 years. From playing at the YMCA, to performing for the Rangers, as well as earning a varsity spot her freshman year on Centennial’s soccer team, the lessons she’s learned have helped her develop as a person and a player. Ivory’s biggest motivation is her sister Justine, who is always pushing her to do her best. Martinez states, “Seeing her always training and working hard not only in soccer but everything else she does, really inspires me. She’s an amazing soccer player her and I wish I would’ve been able to play with her longer than one year when she was a senior and I was a freshman. She’s always pushing me to be better and to work harder.”

Family is a huge part of why Ivory is so successful on the field. Her biggest role model is her mother, who is a stage three colon cancer survivor. Ivory states, “She’s the strongest women I know. She gives me the strength I need each and everyday, I love her and her courageousness.” However, family is not just those that are related to her. Martinez’s favorite thing about soccer is the team aspect. She loves all of her teammates and her ‘dysfunctional’ family.

Ivory has big plans on what she wants to do during this season. Centennial has won the SCL title for the past five years, and she plans on making it six. To achieve that goal Martinez believes they need to be strong as a team and come out strong in every single game. Another big goal for Ivory and her team is to advance and get past second round playoffs.

Not only does Martinez want to finish her senior year of soccer with a bang, but she also wants to come in hot for her first year of college soccer. Ivory has committed to play at the next level for Otero Junior College in La Junta, Colorado. Ivory plans to play mid field/outside because that’s where the coach believes she will be strongest. Ivory’s biggest goal for next year is to balance her athletics and academics, along with learning the ropes in college. Martinez states, “I think Otero is the perfect choice for me for where I’m at in my life. It’ll help me focus on both school and soccer in a smaller community and help me to learn to be away from my parents, but not too far.”

There is no doubt that Ivory Martinez will leave a mark on Centennial’s Soccer program and that she will dominate everything that comes her way after high school graduation.

Jillian Kelly, Sports Staff

Jill Kell is no average joe. You can recognize her from anywhere with her overly muscular legs and relentless curly hair. However, she’s mostly known...