The Driver Era: Live in Denver

The Driver Era Make Their Way Back to Their Hometown to Play New Music Live on Tour

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Driver Era: Live in Denver

Jaelyn Hawken, Arts & Entertainment

The Colorado originated, alternative band made their way back to their hometown to perform on their first ever tour as “The Driver Era”. Early in 2018, the band members of R5 changed all of their band account’s social media handles. The band announced that R5 would no longer continue their musical journey as R5, but as The Driver Era. When removing the Disney Channel vibe that R5 gave, the band has now shown how much they have matured over the years. Some other changes were made as well concerning band members. R5 consisted of four siblings; Ross, Rocky, Riker, and Rydel Lynch, and their drummer; Ellington Ratliff. But, The Driver Era consists of only two of the Lynch brothers, Ross and Rocky. The brothers are in the band as a duo, except when playing live they are accompanied by the rest of R5, bringing them back to their roots. Considering the band only has three songs released, they are currently on tour playing majority R5 songs.

On March 25, 2019, the band made their way back to Colorado for their sixth show on their first ever tour as The Driver Era. They played at a small venue, attached to a bar in Denver called The Globe Hall. About half of their shows are sold out (as of now) and Denver’s was one of them. The show began at around 8:00 p.m. with their opening act, Moontower. The band was perfect for the audience and got us all hyped for the band to come out. I managed to meet the guys in this band and they were extremely kind, and without a doubt added some new songs to the audiences’ playlists.

At around 9:00 p.m., The Driver Era came out on stage. The venue wasn’t very big and I had already managed a good spot near the stage but, we only got closer once the concert started. With all of the people in the crowd losing their friends, I was offered many times to move up near the stage. The band played many of their R5 songs but, the first The Driver Era song they played was “Afterglow”. I always enjoyed R5 but, I thoroughly enjoy the small amount of music The Driver Era has released, so I definitely had a good time with Afterglow, along with the rest of the crowd.

The lead singer, Ross Lynch, was at one moment the only band member on the stage. He pulled out his acoustic guitar and sang a short little song and the chorus was “stop, don’t move, you’ll ruin the picture that I’m taking of you”. Ross sang the little song multiple times to get the crowd singing along with him. He says the song reminds him of all the photographs he takes of all the people he loves in his life, and wanted to share it with his audiences.  

After about an hour, the band left the stage and of course, the crowd started chanting “Encore!” and within moments the band was back on stage to play their The Driver Era hit, “Low”. With the amount of energy on stage it was difficult to not enjoy your time in the audience. I even spoke to a woman who was there with her daughter, who had never even heard one of their songs, say she couldn’t help but jump and dance along in the crowd. The entire crowd was singing along and mesmerized by the band’s emotion on stage. Although it was insanely hot in the venue, the crowd still managed to have the best night.

About an hour and a half to two hours after their show began, it then came to an end. Ross, Rocky, and Riker said their goodbyes and thank yous, throwing guitar picks into the crowd and Ellington doing the same with his broken drumsticks. The band left the stage and the venue began to clear. It was truly a fun and energy filled night. Speaking on behalf of myself and the crowd, I would say we strongly suggest you see The Driver Era in concert if you are looking for an unforgettable night.

Jaelyn Hawken, News Staff

Jaelyn, a shy and quiet girl when you first meet her, but once you get to know her she is very outgoing and is extremely sarcastic. She loves to listen...