Artist Spotlight: Kalena Muller Exceeds Expectations

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jenna Herrera, News Staff

On March 9th, 2019, one of our fellow bulldogs made her mark at the annual Scholastic Art and Writing competition. Kalena Muller is a senior here at Centennial known for artistic ability, who’s found herself making it known to others around the world. The assembly was at the Colorado History Museum in Denver where she earned herself a Gold Key, meaning she got first in the state. This contest is worldwide so people from around the world gathered together to show off their art in hopes of getting the chance to get a gold medal. The art show hosted tons of different types of mediums that could be entered in, but what got Kalena that Gold Key was an original color pencil drawing of an X-Rayed woman’s body.

As someone who usually prefers painting over drawing, this kind of art was unusual unusual to her as she stated, “It was super surprising that out of my whole portfolio that’s what they took.” She entered this contest on her own time with the help of Dr. Doer the art teacher here at Centennial. She entered the contest with an entire portfolio which to her “was one of the hardest parts of it all.” The judges went through the whole thing and found the drawing to be one of her best and so when I asked her if it was one of her favorites, I was surprised to hear her answer. Kalena actually really didn’t like that one even though she spent a whole month trying to create it. She said, “It was just so hard trying to get the anatomy of the body right and I still don’t think it’s perfected.” Kalena spends most of her time creating art so I was very curious and I asked her, “Why do you love art, what makes you want to create?” She had the most genuine answer and that was, “I love that I can put my thoughts and emotions on paper as well as creating something out of nothing, the whole process is just beautiful to me.”

This is also why she’s going to try and spend the rest of her life creating art for people as she is going to school for Animation in hopes of transferring to San Francisco to be apart of their stellar art program. Her art is described as realism but she really wants to get into surrealism due to her aspiration to be like Tanya Shatseva, one of her favorite artists ever, “She’s so amazing because she has this way of creating realism through surrealism and does it with acrylic paint, which is crazy because it looks like it would be oil and she still goes with the cheaper medium.”

This whole experience has helped her appreciate art a lot more because she was able to see the works of high school students around the world, and because it gave her the reassurance that her art is loved by many. If you ever check out her art she hopes that seeing it will make you think, “I want to do that.” Getting people into art is a really big goal for her and part of that motivation came from the art program here at Centennial. “Dr. Doer pushes me to put my art out there and wants people to see it.” This extra push has helped her tremendously in this competition and in general, but what really pushes her above and beyond is her love for art. The moment you talk to her about it you hear the passion in her voice, and we are so proud of our fellow Bulldog Kalena Muller.